I found a bit of code that I could improve considerably today. It was particularly affecting pages where there were a lot of links (like Popular Places Without An Article). These pages have actually thrown some errors in the last week or so with more people accessing it due to Hipporoller challenge. Anyway, fix is in place and all articles, particularly large ones, should benefit from this.
But I did have to do some fairly significant shuffling around of the code, so I'm just warning you. If you notice any links not displaying correctly (showing grey when they shouldn't or vice versa), then let me know so I can chase it down.
Haven't checked those very long articles, but when applying a template or some other few things, it actually seems slower since the last couple of days or so.
No problems furthermore or so, just notice it takes a few seconds.
This change shouldn't have any effect on applying templates or anything like that, so that would have to be a coincidence. It only affects the saving of articles and the displaying of articles. And more specifically, the more links in the article, the more the effect can be noticed. Then again, it's always hard to notice afterwards. In local testing though, saving was cut down from around 10 seconds to about 2 seconds for that list of popular places. Though my local computer is not nearly as beefy as the server machines. Displaying that articles was actually timing out locally and now loads snappily. Under 300ms on the live site. Something about having to process about 1800 links individually on the page that was just too much apparently