I searched all threads but could not get satisfying answer. So here I am.
I am planning to visit Thailand from Kuala Lumpur in 1st week of March 2010 but want to visit only the southern part and at most can spare 15 days for it. I am keeping east & north Thailand for next time so pls dont suggest me those places.
I will go there by air but will be coming down towards south and enter back to Malaysia by road (bus, train etc). Stopping at various places, I want to soak in local culture, not a fan of only touristy places. This is my tentative plan. I have a few queries though. I will highly appreciate your expert guidance.
1. How much I can see in 15 days?
2. As there is no flight to Muang Ranong, is it a good idea to go to Phuket, see the place and move slightly north towards Ranong and then come back to, say, Surat thani etc not touching Phuket this time? Basically how much north I can afford to go?
3. I am an Indian female & will travel alone on budget. What precautions do I have to take besides procuring Thai visa?
4. What all places can you recommend to see? What should be my itinerary ?
5. Should I convert some amount to Baht in Kuala Lumpur itself or get it done at Phuket airport?
Thanks in advance. If reqd, will come back with more queries later.
Why not take bus straight to Muang Ranong? Just go to Sai Tai Mai (Southern Bus Terminal) and buy a bus ticket to Muang Ranong. If I am not mistaken, you might need to take buses which are heading to Phuket or Phanga where they will stop at Ranong on the way. When you board the bus, remember to tell the bus attendant that you are stopping at Ranong so that he/she will wake you up or call you when they arrive at Ranong.
From Ranong you can continue to Surat and down further. If you are into local culture, then head down to the deep south to Betong in Yala Province. I think Betong is the safest compare to other districts in Yala. There are Thai Chinese, Thai Muslims and pure Thais living in the area. There are also quite a number of tourist attractions which is only famous among the locals and neighbouring country like Malaysia. Don't miss Piyamit Tunnel if you visit Betong. A small tiny town which is just few km from the border.
Thanks for all information. As I said, I am flying to Phuket from KL and then move upwards to Ranong. from there coming back to Surat thani & further down. So, I will not be touching Bangkok and northern places.
I have noted down all those places that you've mentioned. Now, I need to see what all things/places I can cover.
Thanks a lot, will trouble you again.