Skip Navigation

Possible to obtain a temporary EU passport?

Travel Forums Europe Possible to obtain a temporary EU passport?

1. Posted by Athenav (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

hey guys, i got a bit of a crisis, i currently hold a Greek passport, and im living in the UK.
My passport will be sent away for up to 6 months, for my husbands spousal visa, can i get a temporary passport in the meantime? i call the greek embassy, and they said they do not issue them.
I need to travel back to SA , but its entering the UK that i will need the passport.

Any help is greatly appreciated


2. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

I don't think there's such a thing as temporary EU passport. Usually if a passport is lost, then an emergency passport can be issued but it'll nullify the other passport. Plus only the country of your citizenship can issue a passport, so if the Greek embassy already indicated that this is not possible, then I don't think there's another way of getting one.

Could you postpone the trip or postpone sending the passport away?

(Ps: the only person I know to have 2 passports from the same issuing country - not Greece though - is my friend who is working for the press, and when he travels to Middle East etc for work, he uses the alternative passport from what he normally uses)

3. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 7y

The short answer is no. If you get another passport, that would invalidate your first one. If you need to send away your passport for 6 months, that means you'll have to go 6 months without a passport.

However, if you are travelling into the UK as an EU national, you should be able to enter with an EU identity card. That would mean that you wouldn't need the passport, no?

4. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

This is a very infrequent problem, but I seem to recall the following remedy:

You would need

  • an official document proving that you had a legal obligation to surrender your passport to a third party (like a statement from the government service you had to send the passport to)
  • documents that bear testimony to the urgency of your travel needs

With these documents, you should turn either to the UK Home office or to the Greek consulate: I'm unsure which of the two. They should be able to ensure beforehand that you can return to the UK after your trip. This doesn't solve the problem of entering another country, but at least it takes care of being able to return.

This is all from memory, so best make inquiries with the Home Office before collecting the necessary documents.

But if you need to travel to a European destination (however, I take it that SA means South America), applying for an EU identity card is easier.

good luck, Niels

5. Posted by BedouinLeo (Inactive 698 posts) 7y

There is no such thing as an EU Passport. Every country in the EU has it's own system to travel with. Some have passports, others have just ID cards. However, an EU Passport doesn't exist.

6. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 7y

Does Greece have an ID card? If yes, can you get one while being a resident of the UK?

EU citizens are allowed to travel to other EU countries with their ID cards.

Example: A German would be able to enter the UK with a Personalausweis, which is the German national ID card. Germans do not need passports to enter the UK, but if they live outside of Germany the embassy will always issue them a passport as document of identity. Germans living abroad cannot get national id cards because the German embassies abroad don't issue them.

7. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

This is quite confusing. Won't she need a passport to enter SA (South Africa? South America?) on the outward journey too?

8. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 7y

This is quite confusing. Won't she need a passport to enter SA (South Africa? South America?) on the outward journey too?

I am assuming that Athenav holds double citizenship, SA (??? - South African most likely) citizenship and Greek.