Skip Navigation

Criminal Record and wanting to get into the UK.

Travel Forums Europe Criminal Record and wanting to get into the UK.

1. Posted by honoryourl (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

I have a criminal record and did my time for my offense. I went on a highspeed chase in my own vehicle and completely sober. I was charged with dangerous driving and evading police. I served 4 months in a provincial jail.

I was wondering if this will prevent me from entering the UK for a week or two long visit? And who would I contact to see if I can get in? I have an 18 month driving prohibition that ends in July. I won't be doing any driving, if I am caught driving within that time limit I can go back to jail for a year to 5 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, it's my first and only offense.

Thank you,

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

1. Please see the visa sticky thread on top of the forum.

2. Please state your citizenship and country of residency.

3. Will you need a visa to enter the UK?

4. In which country were you convicted of the offense?

3. Posted by honoryourl (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

1. I'll only be there for 2 weeks, so I won't need a visa. Will I?

2. I am a born Canadian and reside in Canada.

3. No? I'm just visiting for a few weeks.

4. Canada.

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

Then it won't be a problem.

Just show your passport at immigration and don't say anything unless they ask.

Q:"How long will you be staying?"
A: Two weeks. (Have your return flight ticket ready, best hold it in your hand.)

Q:"How much money have you got?" (If you look scruffy.)
A: 200 pounds in cash and 1500 GBP in the bank and a credit card for emergencies. (If you got a BritRail pass this is the time to flash it.)

Q: "What is the purpose of your visit?"
A: Tourism. (Again flash your train tickets/Brit rail pass.)


[ Edit: Edited on 05-Dec-2009, at 08:18 by t_maia ]

5. Posted by honoryourl (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

Hmm ok, sounds good. But I need a guarantor for my passport, what if I don't have one? I don't know anyone in my family with a passport. So how do I go about this?

6. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

Typically, anyone who's normally visa-waivered is not eligible to travel on a visa exempt basis when there's a criminal offense. You're supposed to apply for a visa and whether you will be granted one or not depends on the officer evaluating your case.

7. Posted by BedouinLeo (Inactive 698 posts) 7y

All you need to do is contact your local Consulate/Embassy for the UK.
Tell them everything and they will advise you on your rights and whether it is worth you applying, or if it's a waste of time.
Good luck.