Skip Navigation

registering a car in the EU as a non-EU resident

Travel Forums Europe registering a car in the EU as a non-EU resident

1. Posted by bevfisher (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

Does anyone know how how I can register a car I bought in the Netherlands to use in the EU without being a EU resident. I hope to keep the car there to use every summer for 2-3 months but I am having trouble finding out how to register and insure it.

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

Are you close to the German border? Are you an EU citizen or can you stay visa-free up to 3 months inside Schengen Area?

If yes to both questions you could register the car in Germany.

You need to go to the Einwohnermeldeamt or B├╝rgeramt in a German town and register as having a "Nebenwohnung" in that town.

With the papers you get from registering the "Nebenwohnung" you should be able to register and insure the car.

3. Posted by mpprh (Full Member 114 posts) 7y

I don't know about NL.

In France many people resident in other countries have a French registered car for vacation use.

You need to have proof of an address :

A utility bill
Letter from friends confirming you are living at their address

May be worth enquiring about km based insurance, too.


Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7