Hello, my girlfriend and me are getting married 2/7/2005 and so we'll be on our "honeymoon" (oh I hate that word) in July. We are having problems finding the "perfect destination".
We have already been diving in Perhentian (Malaysia), Safaga (Egypt), Utila (Honduras) + Caye Caulker (Belize), Bali-Gili-Komodo (Indonesia), Zanzibar-Pemba (Tanzania) + Wasini Island (Kenya).
Anybody good ideas ?
Some off our criteria:
- our budget is between 2500 & 4000 euro per person (including flight from Belgium)
- it’s a 4 week trip, we like travelling around, so not always at one place (combination of more countries also possible)
- the diving has to be world class, especially searching for the bigger critters like Manta’s, Dolphins, Sharks, and why not … even Whales
- also interested in live-aboards, but not to expensive like the trips to Isla Del Coco (Costa Rica) & Galapagos (Ecuador) that I checked out, these would mean our budget is gone in 1 week; but diving with a boat from a beachresort can be as good
- nice weather & good visibility at this time of year (July)
- not looking for 5* concrete hotels but more for beautiful bungalows on the beach (with private bath, traditional furniture, king-sized bed, …), nice beach (volleyball, …)
- not planning to dive 4 weeks, so there have to be other activities in the country as well: we like nature (ex. our safari last year was amazing), beautiful scenery, a bit culture, …
I hope you can give me some good ideas and make this trip even better then anything we have done so far.
Thanks a lot !!!
Well, it sounds like you've already done something similar--but diving off Cozumel (Mexico--state of Quintana Roo) might be good. It's the second largest reef in the world (after the Great Barrier Reef)--and there are lots of other things to do. Pyramids at Chichen Itza and Tulum and Coba--xenotes, and amusement parks like Xela-Ha and Xcaret (spelling may be wrong on this last one)--with wild nightlife in Cancun and Playa del Carmen close by.
Another option (if you are doing this in the summer) would be to go to the northern part of Vancouver Island (British Columbia, Canada) on a Grizzly Bear safari (where you go and can view them)--with salmon fishing, kayaking and lots of other outdoor activities. The city of Victoria (which is very British looking) is close-by, along with the Butchart Gardens--and it's a short ferry trip to the cities of Vancouver, Canada--or Seattle, Washington in the USA. Both cities specialize in outdoor types of things to do--which sounds like what you are interested in. You could also take a cruise along the Canadian/Alaskan Inland Passageway up to Alaska. You would see lots of Glaciers along the way--and could go to Kodiac Island to see the bears there--or to Denali National Park to see (or even climb if you are brave enough) Mount McKinley (Mt. Denali)--which is the highest mountain in the western hemisphere.
what about seychelles ? i have no idea about the diving there, but im sure u can find that out.
Another option maybe is Ilha de fernando de Noronha, which is an island in brazil. the diving must be very good there, according to people that have been to several great spots around the world.
Then there are the Maldives in the indian Ocean. But i think you know them already..
Both is not very cheap i suppose, but u can check for that.
have a nice trip