Skip Navigation

Work and Travel Visa in Europe for US citizen?

Travel Forums Europe Work and Travel Visa in Europe for US citizen?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

11. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 7y

@Dinaflo: Look at Camp America for yourself. Gives you a summer job in the hotel industry as long as you are a student enrolled in university.

yeah volunteer work is possible, but it doesnt bring much money (if any at all) and to live in europe for a year has to be financed somehow, hence me asking about work permissions etc.

If you wanted to live in the USA for a year you'd have the same problem. You'd have to survive for a year without making any money, living off your savings.

The only solution is to work while you are at home and save, save, save.

One more tip for your friend: US citizens can work visafree on US Armed Forces bases in Europe. Especially personnel with medical qualifications is quite in demand. We have a TP member here who asked the same question as you did about 1 1/2 years ago. In August this year she got a job in a US Army hospital in Germany.

12. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

Dina, how about checking out J visa (for you to go to US)? I'm not sure what the regulations are for Germans, but the Irish students often take out a J-1 to go to US and work during summers and then travel some.

13. Posted by Dinaflo16 (Budding Member 6 posts) 7y

yeah... I think J visas are a possibility... but I already had one when I was working as aupair 2006-2007 in the states. (best time of my life! ) not sure if you can have one twice? but anyways, Im gonna have a degree next year and would be looking for something a bit more long term than summer work and for that a J visa isnt enough cause its based on "cultural exchange" etc... (or so I read).

14. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

Ah yeah, if you want something for longer term, then definitely J visa will not cut it. Well, whatever the next course of action you take, good luck!

  • 1
  • 2