Okay, you asked about your suggested route--so let me give you my revisions:
(1) Stop in Cleveland on the way and see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
(2) Do like Rhombus said and visit some caverns in Missouri
(3) Take the extra 2 -3 hours needed and cut north to Santa Fe (New Mexico), then go back south to Albuquerque. It's a beautiful town with great restaurants and art galleries and historic buildings (including their central square)--and one of the oldest cities in the US.
(4) After visiting Monument Valley, go to the south end of Lake Powell and consider taking the boat out to the Rainbow Bridge--then go on to the north rim of the Grand Canyon
(5) Consider visiting Zion or Bryce Canyon in Utah (or both) after the Grand Canyon before going on to Las Vegas.
(6) Modify your trip through California to either go through Yosemite--or else head west towards the coast (my own preference---especially if you are coming during the summertime) and visit the wineries near Paso Robles (along 46 West) and then Hearst Castle and then Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey before going on to San Francisco.
Enjoy your trip.