Skip Navigation

Getting a work Visa

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Getting a work Visa

1. Posted by Furey_84 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hello Everybody!

My name is Ryan and I have a question for anybody that could give me some information. I have been under house arrest for about 2 years and will be done on may 4th!!! We'll I have a criminal record now for selling drugs to an undercover> When I am done my house arrest I would really like to move to austrailia and work. If anybody has any information if I am allowed or how I would go about being able to go there and work

2. Posted by dnicholson (Full Member 146 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Well, you will need to get a character test then and one of the reasons why a person may fail it is because of having a substantial criminal record

A person is deemed to have a substantial criminal record if they have been:

* sentenced to either death or life imprisonment
* sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more
* sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more
* acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

3. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Even for the work and travel visa, which is really pretty easy to get, you'll have problems. Typically small charges are acceptable, but I'm not sure what kind of luck you'll have with a more serious conviction like this. You should allow at least 6-12 months to get all the paperwork done in a case like this, and then have your fingers crossed!!