Hello to all, this is my first posting in the site although I've read you quite a lot already.
I'm about to start a trip to South America with my partner and we'll be focusing mostly in Peru and Bolivia. I'd say we are very chaotic travellers and tend to improvise a lot in our travels; we don't normally have everything planned and decide what to do and where to go once we are in the country.
This will be our first time in SA.
The thing is that we'd love to bring our 3.5kg tent if it's actually possible and safe to camp around Peru and Bolivia. I've heard that in some places of Argentina it is normal to "rent" a piece of backyard from private houses for camping. I was wondering if that's like that also in Peru and Bolivia.
I'd love to hear whatever you have to share regarding the camping stuff.
Also, here's relevant info of our trip in case you have any suggestion or tip for us. (I'd love to hear!)
- Arrive in Lima on Feb, 12th 2010
- We are spanish so we have little lenguage barrier.
- Our desired budget is 1500€/each (we already have the plane tickets) but we have an extra 1000€/each just in case.
- We tend to avoid big cities during our travels and look for cultural exchange more than going sightseing (which we enjoy also, and will do too, but not at ANY price) I personally love the genuinity of small towns and settlements and its people.
- Some places we'll try to visit are:
In Peru: Ica, Nazca, Arequipa, Puno, Cuzco, Pucallpa, Cajamarca, Iquitos (+ Amazon trek), Colca Canyon, Trujillo, Chan Chan, Huanchaco...
In Bolivia: La paz, Cochabamba, Oruro, Sucre, Uyuni, Potosi, lake Titicaca...
Would love if you share those special small places you know with us (even if they are hard to get to!) You can private message us if you want to preserve a certain place from "mainstream" turism. We love to respect and we love to learn.
Thanks in advance.