Skip Navigation

Working holiday visa / 3 month tourist visa?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Working holiday visa / 3 month tourist visa?

1. Posted by Tigger1981 (Budding Member 26 posts) 7y


Was wondering whether it is possible to apply for both of these visas (not at the same time obviously) ie: apply for 3 month tourist visa after the WHV has expired or vice versa? Or can you only apply for one or the other?



2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 7y

Yes, once you've had a WHV for Australia you can apply for an eVisitor (the normal tourist "visa" for people from the UK and other European countries).

The eVisitor is free and allows visits of up to 3 months at a time, entry needing to take place within 1 year of its grant. For passport holders where the eVisitor is not available, then there may be the ETA which is AU$20 direct from Australian immigration, and has same entry/length of visit rules as the eVisitor.

I'm not sure if there's more to your question though - as in, are you actually asking can you obtain a tourist visa within Australia when your WHV expires? If you are, then the answer is no - an eVisitor/ETA must be applied for outside of Australia.

Also, if you have a current visa at time of application (for any Australian visa), then if the new visa is granted the one you previously held is automatically cancelled.

3. Posted by Tigger1981 (Budding Member 26 posts) 7y


Thanks for your reply, yeah what I meant was apply from the UK after the WHV has finished although now I'm actually going to do the 3 month visa first for a short visit, probably 5-6 weeks and then do the WHV afterwards.

Many thanks,


Post 4 was removed by a moderator