Skip Navigation

Visa Question

Travel Forums Round the World Travel Visa Question

1. Posted by Logan1033 (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

I'm planning a trip for later this year. I will mainly be using a work exchange program for food and lodging. I will start in Spain (not a long stay, just visiting family) and move on to France>England>Germany>Italy>Thailand>Australia>NZ>Japan.

That is just a rough estimate of place and order. For most of these places a visa is not required for up to 90 days, I'm just wondering 1) if i want to stay longer can i apply for an extension or for a tourist visa while in country (or if it would be better to do that in advance just in case) and 2) is a tourist visa(or the 90 grace period) enough for a work exchange program? I have heard about a working holiday visa but they seem to only be offered to residents of Australia/NZ/England/Canada.

Thanks for any help,

2. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

I don't have advice for you right now re your questions but just want to say, take note that for EU countries, between Schengen and non-Schengen zone, you must realise that 90 days visa free visit does not mean you have 90 days in each and every one of the countries. Schengen zone has collective 90 days visa-waiver period between them instead. E.g. your itinerary stated Germany followed by Italy. You can spend a combined 90 days between them but not 90 days in each of them.

3. Posted by Logan1033 (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

ahh thanks a lot, i was unaware that that was how it worked. that would have caused a lot of problems as i was looking at spending a full 90 days ( or close to it) in each of france, germany, and italy.

4. Posted by lil_lil (Travel Guru 462 posts) 7y

Effectively there's a 90 days in, 90 days out rule.

So you can be in Schengen zone for 90 days, then travel outside e.g. to UK and be there for 90 days, then go back in again to Schengen zone.

Therefore you could, technically, go to France for 90 days, then to UK for 90 days, and back for Germany and Italy but the total time would be 90 days unless you travel to another non-Schengen country in between the two for 90 days.

This point has caused much confusion over the year for many travellers, and some became overstayers because of misunderstanding of this rule.

To check other visa requirements, you can use this website but ideally you should double check with relevant embassies/consulates.

5. Posted by Logan1033 (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

thats actaully a good idea, it would take a littlebit of scheduling but i was hoping to fit in a visit to england and scotland, if i could split that into two seperate trips instead of the one i originally had in mind it would work out. sadly i think the precision needed would detract from the enjoyment, and i believe the cost and effort of getting a visa will be much simpler.
thanks though.