Skip Navigation

Criminal Backgroud vs Job in Middle East

Travel Forums Africa and The Middle East Criminal Backgroud vs Job in Middle East

1. Posted by neversayth (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!


Would anybody be able to advise me if having a criminal records appeared on CRB will affect my chance to get a job in Abu Dhabi and other gulf countries?

The record was from 13 yrs ago (possession of carnabis - got fined, never been sentenced.) I assume from my experience that this doesn't affect me to get a job in England as the charge is not relevant to the position I have and it was a long time ago. Also, at the moment, I still remain working with the well reputed British company (crb checked by them)

However, I know the Britain is not Middle East and Middle East is not Britain... How do they think about it if you apply the job with the criminal record?

I'm thinking to apply for a few posts. One of them asks for the criminal record on their application process while the others do not ask for it (not mentioned on the job detail/requirement to send along with CV - or maybe they'll ask for it later?)

Any advice would be appreciated.


2. Posted by fabyomama (Respected Member 560 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I'm guessing the only people who can give you a definitive answer is the consulate of the country you want to work in.

Have you been in touch with an ex-pat forum?

Would appreciate hearing how you get on if that's ok. ;)

[ Edit: Edited on 10-Feb-2010, at 03:20 by fabyomama ]

3. Posted by James10 (Budding Member 10 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I would not bother mentioning it, there is no way they would know and in any case ur "crime" (13 YRS BACK) is not relevant to any job unless maybe u plan working in the Medical sector where, routine tests are regularly carried out and could be a problem if u still smoke canabis.

All the best mate.

4. Posted by boreal2673 (Respected Member 345 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I would contact your home country consulat and ask them. They would be able to help. Though I am not a cop or a lawyer I beleive that in your case, it has no relavence. This isnt a criminal record it was a fine. If there was no formal sentenceing you would be good.