I'm an italian PhD student (28 years old), and I recently decided that I want to take a long trip around the world... between 4-6 months (probabily in 2011) just to see a little bit of places outside my homeland!
Unfortunately all my friends have lives/jobs that are too fixed and stable and so they cannot share with me this "crazy" experience... but now I think that it is the right time for me to do it, because I recently discover my deep love for travelling, even if I'm not an expert about it yet....
This is why I'm posting this message in this forum: where I hope to be able to get in touch with people that had similar experiences and that could give me some advices... and maybe also to find some friend that can join me in this adventure!
So, I will appreciate any kind of help that you can give me about place to visit/avoid, web-site to read, books to buy, etc....
I hope that you can help me in realizing that dream.
you are happy one to live in Italy - at my mind it's the perfect place!
mmm.. but if we r about travelling - go on it!
Planning is going like this:
1. Realise your limitations: budget, time, languages (=communication) if you have health/social/other limitations.
2. Your aims and interests - and then which countries/cultures are better choice. When you know what you expect from this trip - you can ask for advice in the travel forum.
3. Next you open the map and make the draft path.
4. Collect information about these countries: size, seasons (climate), how to arrive/leave, safety, how much money it should cost, etc.
5. Transportation and size of country(s) + your personal plans will influent on schedule. Location - on season when to go and on order of visiting. Some places are avaliable for visit only 1-2 months/year in specific time.
6. Dealing with budget: cost of flight(s) - your main ticket from /back to home + hypotetical cost of month/days in specific country/region + unexpected costs (it always happen in the trip) - money that you should "keep aside" for any changes/trouble that could b. Then you need to add cost of insurance, various vactinations (if you going to exotic places), equipment cost.
when you 'll be done with all this - you'd have a looooooooooooooooong list of questions, but they would be specific and possible to solve. You buy tickets , maps, books and begin to pack
go, go, go before you getting stuck with routine of job, kids, loans, etc.
Thank for the checklist that you suggested me!
I've already started with points 2-3, meaning that I'm trying to find a long list of places in the world that I want to see before I die... and then, depending on my budget, I will chose just some of them (leaving the rest for other trips, because I do not plan to die just after that single long trip ).
For sure, after this long research, I will have a looooong list of specific questions and I will post them here because I'm sure that expert people that are following this forum will be able to help me!
P.S. I don't consider myself a "lucky one" to live in Italy... I really do not like it very much, I prefer many other places in the world... but maybe it is just because "The grass is always greener on the other side"
i plan on doing the same thing and ended up in oz and working there for a few month. what mont in 2011 you planning on going? im fron england, uk
I'm Angelito. I currently live in Los Angeles California and am also planning an RTW trip early 2011. Like you, my friends also have "office jobs", or have kids, and/or don't share my adventurous lust for travel.
I'm not new to travel since I've been to a lot of great places. However, I AM new to backpacking and budget travel. I'm interested in finding a travel partner to do an RTW or extended stays in Latin America or South East Asia (or both).
A bit about me...
I am an adventurous guy, 31, and have been traveling since I was 15. I love meeting new people and learning about other cultures. I'm open to couch-surfing, hostels, dorms, or renting flats. Whatever the budget allows.
I plan on spending the remaining months of 2010 to plan, research, and dream about the trip with my travel partner (if I find one:-))
If you'd like to know more about me or if you'd like to start a conversation about potentially planning a trip, contact me.
Hi World Travellers,
I found an excellent website that could help you plan things. There's also a BIG travel contest going on!
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]