I am thinking of taking a trip to london over easter for about a week and just wanted to have some first hand opinions of what people think would be the best places to hit. Not the normal touristy stuff... but the things that are real and english, i've been to heathrow but never to the city... so i want to make my first trip rememorable any ideas?
Not sure where to start!
How about Highgate and Hampstead?
- Tour Highgate Cemetery
- Wander up Parliament Hill for a great view over London
- Try out some great old pubs in Highgate Village, like The Prince of Wales and The Flask
- Visit Kenwood House, a grand stately home on the heath
- If you're really daring have a dip in one of Hampstead swimming ponds!
Or maybe try Kew and Richmond?
- Visit Kew Gardens, England's brilliant national botanic garden
- Wander around Richmond Park, with its deer, ponds and woodland
- Pop down to Richmond riverside for pubs and restaurants with a view over the thames
- Take the TFL boat up or downstream from Richmond Pier for a view of the West of the city from the water.
Let me know if this isn't the sort of thing you had in mind and I'll come up with some more suggestions!
to see something 'real english' get out of london and head north, go to a football game on a saturday and call to the pub after. have about 10 pints of carling and get yourself down into town for a fight and a curry. wake up the next morning with a hangover and a black eye, get a breakfast from mcdonald's and go play sunday football whilst still feeling slightly tipsy! Shower! and back to the pub for a few more pints whilst you watch the game, head home about 7 after feeling depressed all day about 'work on monday', get up monday morning, go to work, complain about work and the government's imigration problems all week, and start again the following saturday! if your staying for a couple of weeks or more you could just repeat this process untill you decide you have had enough and want to travel elsewhere!
i've done the black eye and a hangover in the morning already unfortunately but thnkx anyways :p but great suggestions all round , Thanks!! :D
Hop the fence at Buckingham Palace and join the queen for a cupa. You get to have tea with the queen and after, a private tour and over night stay at the Tower of London, before your execution.
For something more sedate try one of these free walking tours. Dickens walk This site lists ghost tours and all sorts.
Not sure if that site has it, but I also did a Chaucer walk in south London. Amazing to walk the same streets the were written about hundreds of years ago and there's the same buildings too! Along the south bank of the Thames there's even the pub that Captain Smith drank at before he set sail with the first pilgrims for America.