Skip Navigation

international drivers in USA

Travel Forums North America international drivers in USA

1. Posted by chetnasriv (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!


I am a resident in Uganda with a Ugandan driver's licence. I will be travelling to the US and Canada for one month in May/June 2010. Do I need an International Driver's licence to drive and rent cars in these countries?:)

2. Posted by beerman (Respected Member 1631 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hello chetnasriv

I've seen conflicting reports from several US State agencies as to whether or not you will need an International Driver's License..... some say yes, others say no. It looks like your best bet is to check with your local agency that issued your current driver's license. The US does not issue these licenses, so you will have to get one in Uganda if necessary. You could also check with any local Ugandan or international automobile association (here in the US it would be AAA - the American Automobile Association). They should be able to answer for Canadian driving as well. There will likely be a small charge for obtaining such a license. If your current license is not printed in English, then yes, you will need an international one.

Also, in the US and Canada, always drive on the right, unless it is a one-way road. Do pay attention to the speed limits as getting a speeding ticket can be quite costly and delay your trip.

Have you checked on any visa requirements for visiting the US and Canada? Is your passport up to date? Keep these things in mind, as well as what the weather will be like where you'll be visiting - nothing worse than expecting warm weather and suddenly it is -1C at the beach!!!!

Good luck, and happy travels.

3. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 2009 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

It's my understanding that anyone from a non-English speaking country needs an international DL in the USA. Why not go to a site for a rental firm like Hertz or Avis to find out for sure.

Generally, no agency will allow you to cross an international border with a rental, and many only allow you to drive in specific states (and now they can checkup on you with GPS!) - heavy fines will be levied if these rules are violated. Also remember that a credit block of several hundred dollars will be placed on the credit card used to rent the vehicle - next to impossible to rent without a cr card.

[ Edit: Edited on 27-Mar-2010, at 16:20 by Daawgon ]

4. Posted by StaceyD (Inactive 20 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

You are not required for an International Driving Permit in USA as long as you carry a valid driver's license from your home country. You may also need to have held this license for one year.:):):)