Skip Navigation

Green card holder traveling abroad

Travel Forums North America Green card holder traveling abroad

1. Posted by chaosvn (Budding Member 19 posts) 6y


My girlfriend is a US permanent resident (green card holder). She's going to travel to Europe this summer. She already had all the visas necessary to come to Europe. So, when returning to the US, does she need any additional document besides a green card, passport and driver's license? Does she need to apply for re-entry permit? Thanks!

2. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 6y

Check with INS. They are really particular about this.

It depends on what class of resident/ green card she has, but usually a re-entry permit is required. Whatever the case- she MUST do it prior to departure. If she is only going for a few weeks, no probs, but anything such as 12 mths- you must get that re entry permit.

Best thing to do is check with INS, as each case is different.

3. Posted by jambo101 (Respected Member 414 posts) 6y

When i had a green card (1980s)they (customs and immigration)told me that if i was out of the country (USA)for more than 6 months i would have to reapply for a new green card..

4. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1992 posts) 6y

My former wife was/is a Brasilian citizen and had a green card. As of 1983, when we were separating, she needed to get a re-entry permit prior to leaving the country that would allow her to return anytime within a 12 month period. If she hadn't returned within that period, she would need to reapply prior to it expiring--or else get a new green card. I know she came back in June of 1984 since she served as an interpreter at the Olympic Games in Los Angeles. (P.S. She spoke 5 languages fluently;--English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and French.)

Don't know the rules, now, though--these things change all the time--and are probably different today.

5. Posted by chaosvn (Budding Member 19 posts) 6y

We are only going for about 4 weeks so I think a green card would be enough, there's no need to apply for re-entry permit? I will also check with INS. Thanks!