Skip Navigation

KTM-Lhasa by Zhangmu

Travel Forums Asia KTM-Lhasa by Zhangmu

1. Posted by csfreixo (Full Member 83 posts) 12y

csfreixo has indicated that this thread is about Nepal

Hi matts,
I wonder if it is possible to cross overland up to Lhasa by Zhangmu (visiting Rombuk base camp) during February?? And do you have any tips about cheap and nice agencies in KTM?

2. Posted by yakshaver (Budding Member 4 posts) 12y

Yes, you can go overland these days, but you need to pay attention to changes in regulations by the Chinese Government. You need to make sure you have the appropriete Chinese visa allowing you to travel to Tibet. This is not the ordinary visa, you need to be clear about traveling to Tibet in your application. You can get this in KTD, but it will take 7-14 days and they'll keep your passport in the that period. From what I understand, you may be able to cross into Tibet as an individual travelling the road to Lhasa, but it is easier to do it as part of an organised journey with a registered travel/trekking agency in Kathmandu. They usually use Toyota Landcuriesers, obviously more expensive than the bus. Also recently the Nepali and Chinese governments have signed an agreement on establishing a number of regular passanger buses on the KTD to Lhasa stretch.
A reputable agency I would recommend is Thirdpole trekking. I have employed them twice in 1999 and 2000. They are good for organising things for you, especially if you want to cross over from Nepal into Tibet. <> Speak to Rajendra or Deepak.

Should you want to trek in Nepal, and need a guide, you can also talk to Thirdpole. But it would be cheaper to go for an independent guide. I would suggest Santaman Tamang, whom I have employed on four times. He's an excellent fellow, quite professional, knows English well, as well as some German, French and Italian. Good companion, very knowledgeable and good decision maker and helper. He'll organise transport, porter, etc, for you and your party.
Santaman's email is

I hope this helps.


3. Posted by michellemm (Full Member 109 posts) 12y

Hey Yakshaver, that was really claryfing!!!

But I don't think we'll be staying in Ktm for so long (14 days) so, do you know of another way to get this visa??

4. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 12y

There are only group tour visa's available for Tibet

5. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 12y

ee the guys at Green Hill Tours, next door to the Kathmandu Guesthouse in Thamel. I did an 8 day 4WD overland tour KTM to Lhasa through them. They arranged the group tourist visa for 21 days.

6. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 12y

20.12.2004 Re: Tour Visa Entry in Tibet

Hi Cassiano,

It took about a week to get the Chineses group visa.

Here's the contact details for Green Hill Tours in Kathmandu. Perhaps you should check them out yourself:

Their email address is in your message centre.

7. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 12y

Oooops !!! Typo error

Should read:

8. Posted by michellemm (Full Member 109 posts) 12y

Are you sure this website is correct? 'Cause when I click on it, pops up a window about sexual things!