Dear List members
Hi. I just visited this great board
1. I'm a 40+ Indian Male. I've traveled a few places, but this would be my first to New York. I plan travel a weekend in May / June 2010 say May 21-23 or May end / early June (still undecided).
2. My preferred areas of interest would be WTC Ground Zero, libraries, museums , shopping arcades, planetariums, Statue of Liberty ? etc and similar locations in New York.
3. I expect to have three days => something like a weekend + 1 day on hand.
4. I wish to stay some place decent ...NO drugs...no bedbugs...basic clean place is good enough hotels to motels anything decent would do. Budget approx USD 60/- per night rent + taxes per person. EXclude food. I'll take the food *outside*.
5. The hotel / motel / hostel has to be connected by trains / bus / some public transport to at least two three major tourist destinations and the JFK ariport
6. I can hop skip and take multiple public transport
7. Request : Any suggestions on
- where to stay ? Motels / Hostels (private) / Hotels ?
- how to commute to and fro airport - public transport
- how to commute locally - public transport
- what are the top destinations (based on interest mentioned above)
would be most appreciated
If you are busy, please send Links or pointers and I could search the rest
Thanks in advance
For $60 a night hostels will be your only option as most hotels in Manhattan usually start at $150-$200 a night.
Do a Google search for NYC hostels..
You wont have any trouble getting places on public transit as it goes everywhere..
Before you spend money on the Statue of Liberty tour take the Staten Island ferry out and back,its free and takes a half hour each way and it goes right past the statue and also the trip will give you some great photos of the city.
Thanks a Ton. I'll search for hostels.
- By the way, isn't it possible to stay at hotels outside of manhatten and take the public transit ?
- any recommendations on hostels would also be most appreciated
Even outlying areas will be around $100 per night and then you have to deal with long commutes on public transits of easily an hour or more to get into the city.
Cheap hotels NYC = http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=nyc+hotels+cheap&meta=&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=nyc+h&gs_rfai=&fp=1b0740d3cd91ed5e
Cheap hostels NYC = http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=nyc+hostels&meta=&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=nyc+h&gs_rfai=&fp=1b0740d3cd91ed5e
You can see the price advantage in hostels in these two links. try to avoid anything north of central park
[ Edit: Edited on 04-May-2010, at 07:19 by jambo101 ]
Thanks to all those who replied
I'm planning to take a b & b thru airbnb
Hope everything goes on well
Will post here on return