Skip Navigation

Claiming tax and Superannuation refunds from Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Claiming tax and Superannuation refunds from Australia

1. Posted by dfree82 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y

This thread is marked as being about Australia

Anyone suggest companies to help claim back tax and super from Australia? I came across a few companies but they look expensive. The cheapest I found is -snip- for claiming your superannuation back. What about tax?

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

2. Posted by ilove_oz (Budding Member 17 posts) 6y


Dont use a company at all. I had superannuation owed to me from 4 companies whilst i was backpacking. I was originally going to do it through travellersexpress but when i called up by superann. company direct to get my memeber number they said just do it direct, they dont charge a thing?!
So i just called up all my companies, asked for the form that you need to claim the money, filled it in and sent it back. Got all my money back and didnt pay any fees to any companies. There really is no need, its nothing like claiming your tax back. Let me know your super companies and i may have the contact details for them.
If you leave it too long to claim back the money sometimes get transffered to the ATO (Auzzie tax office) then you will recieve a letter from your super company saying they have sent it there. All you do then is go to the ATO website and theres a link on there you can claim it back through. easy peasy.
Dont waster your money on letting a company do it for you, the super companys are really helpful and a lot of them contact you by email or international phone numbers.

Hope this helps!

3. Posted by ilove_oz (Budding Member 17 posts) 6y

oh...and as for tax id say travellersexpress their the cheapest ..other companies charge you a percentage of what you get back (around 12%) whilst travellersexpress is a one off fee (was a year ago anyway $99?) You do need to chase them a bit but youl get it back in a reasonable time.

4. Posted by Ofelia (Respected Member 142 posts) 6y

I agree with the previous poster- I claimed back both my tax and super back myself, and it was really straightforward- if I can do it, anyone can! As long as you fill in all the forms correctly and have patience (it takes a while sometimes) you won't have problems doing it yourself.