Skip Navigation

Thai Tourist Visa?? Need some advice

Travel Forums Asia Thai Tourist Visa?? Need some advice

1. Posted by DOC1982 (Budding Member 6 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi I am Irish and I am flying onto Bangkok on the 1st of Jan 2011.

My flight out is the 28th March 2011.

I plan to go to Cambodia/Laos and possibly Vietnam in those three months.

I will be in South america/ New Zealand and Oz for 3 months before I head to Thailand.

I have two questions that I could really do with some answers or suggestions.

1. I have no internal flights in South east asia booked and dont plan on doing so till I get there if I decide to fly rather than bus/train it. Do I have to have evidence of outgoing flights within the 30 days or will a train/bus ticket be suffice?

2. I think getting a Thai Tourist Visa would probably solve this problem but you need to apply for one at the earliest 90 days in advance. I will be travelling south America/nz/oz at this stage. Can I get a visa in another country than Ireland? and if so do I have to wait around for a few days for same or can I go to an embassy and get one there and then?? Eg in OZ/NZ/SA????

3.Does anyone know the costs of a tourist visa at this time?

Would really appreciate and info regarding same and what would be the best for of practice.

2. Posted by Araluen (Respected Member 346 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi Doc, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, Ireland is listed as one of the countries under the tourist exemption scheme enabling a stay of 30 days. Just scroll down the page and click on -
12. Summary of countries and territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival.
It may still be worthwhile doing a check.

For Cambodia, you can get one on arrival, have US$20, your passport and a photo 3 X 4 cms. You can also apply for an e-visa (this was the option I chose) - Cambodia e-visa. It costs an extra $5 but it saved time and gave me peace of mind knowing I already had it before I arrived.

Edited to correct typos.

[ Edit: Edited on 31-May-2010, at 09:58 by Araluen ]

3. Posted by wildfk (Respected Member 460 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Thailand - you can get a tourist visa (up to 60 days) at (just about) any Thai consulate, just get a list off the net.

if you enter Thailand by air you are eligible for a 30 day entry without a visa - you'll just get a stamp on your passport allowing you to stay for 30 days.

if you enter BY LAND, you ill only get 15 days.