Skip Navigation

Picking up trade work?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Picking up trade work?

1. Posted by shauny88 (Budding Member 28 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Im going on my Rtw trip with my gf in 2weeks. The majority of the trip will be in Oz for about 6month, but my bugdet doesnt quite cover the full 10month travel. Iv heard of people picking up bar work and fruit picking etc, but how hard will it be for me to pick up temporary work on a building site. i am a fully qualified electrician. Any help please?

2. Posted by Araluen (Respected Member 346 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

For information on working in Australia, you might try posting this on the Australia/NZ branch. You'll likely get a better response.
I'll answer your question anyway - you can't just "pick up" bar work, you need an RSA Certificate, anyone working in a bar or where alcohol is sold, even if at the liquour department of a supermarket will not be employed otherwise.

Fruit picking is in certain areas only and is seasonal, except for Queensland where there is fruit picking just about all year round. You will need a WHV for working here. Very few employers are prepared to pay cash in hand and the ones that do are dodgy. You are not covered should any accident befall you and will have no legal leg to stand on. Plusif/ when you get caught you will be deported and refused re-entry for a number of years.

3. Posted by fabyomama (Respected Member 560 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

"Very few employers are prepared to pay cash in hand and the ones that do are dodgy"

You'd be amazed at just how many people do pay cash in hand. Nothing 'dodgy' at all.
Ask around once things settle in a bit. People want stuff done and word gets around. :)

edit: a local sim will be handy.

[ Edit: Edited on 07-Jun-2010, at 04:04 by fabyomama ]

4. Posted by razzaefc (Budding Member 109 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I'm going to be lookin for plastering work while I'm in oz,I'm goin to email a few plasterers/builders soon and see if I get anythin from that.might be a good idea to try it yourself

5. Posted by timtravels (Respected Member 350 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I agree with most of what Araluen said, you'll need an RSA for bar work and fruit picking is mostly seasonal. Are electrician qualifications international? I would assume standards vary from country to country although they may not be hard to pick up.

Cash in hand work does exist but be careful when accepting it, as mentioned if you're employed this way it's often "off the books" and you won't be covered by insurance/worksafe and if you're caught not paying tax you'll be deported.

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7