Skip Navigation

extending stay in italy

Travel Forums Europe extending stay in italy

1. Posted by hess_star (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Ive been in the Schengen area for around 40 days and want to stay in Italy for 3-4 mths longer. Im an Australian citizen but also have canadian citizenship and could apply for my canadian passport to be issued at an embassy.

Can I apply for a 3mth tourist visa on top of the 90 days im allowed?
If I get my canadian passport would that entitle me to another 90 days if I was to fly out of Italy to the UK on my Aus passport and back in to Italy with my Canadian?


2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

No, you can't. After your 90 days in the Schengen area are up, you can't get an extension.

Leaving Schengen on one passport and re-entering with another is theoretically possible, but also clearly against regulations. If you're caught (I don't know the chances of that happening, but I'd say they're considerable), you'll be in trouble.

3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Overstaying is a crime in Italy. If you get caught you'll be in serious trouble.

If you want to stay in Italy you need to go back to your official place of residence (Australia I assume?) and apply there for a visa to Italy.

You could theoretically go to the UK and apply there, but you normally have to apply at the place of residence. Since you won't have a residency permit for the UK you thus cannot apply in the UK.

4. Posted by hess_star (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Well that sucks, I wont risk breaking any laws Ill probably just stay for the remaining 50 days im allowed then go to the UK for the 3mth? period I have to until I can head back.