1, worried about how safe on line banking is with wifi access whilst away?
2, We have a Nationwide Flex cash card with no chip and pin but cheap for atm access
3, we have one credit card
Are the 2 cards enough or should we have a better back up plan.
Places we are visiting
SEA, OZ, NZ, South and North America
Any advice given would be appreciated
8 weeks to go and counting
i set off on my RTW trip for 8months on saturday. i have an escape pre paid card that i will top up online, i will also take my visa debit card for backup. i would be careful using wifi, just make sure you know who you are connecting to. ask if your unsure, there will probably be a password for the wifi and the place where your using it will have a sign on the wall somewhere.
my 1st stop is bangkok!
Make sure your PIN's are all numeric, and notify all cr cards/banks of your itinerary
Worst case scenario you can get someone from home to wire money to you....
I've used internet banking whilst travelling all around the world (including in Asia, South America and Central America) and never had any problems.
In addition to Damen's suggestions about being careful to check you are using a secure conection when using wi-fi, a few other tips I'd recommend are:
- Always check that you are actually going to the bank's genuine website - type the address into the URL bar manually, don't cut an paste a link
- Make sure you always click on the "log out" button once you're finished on the bank's website.
- If you're using computers at an internet cafe - ensure you delete your browsing history, all temporary internet files and all cookies, before you leave the computer terminal
- Also check that the browser does automatically store your information or remember passwords - click 'no!' if it asks you about remembering details. (You can delete any stored information by accessing the 'forms data' option under 'internet options' on the browser)
- Try and check if the internet cafe has up-to-date virus and anti-spyware installed on thier computers before you choose to log in to your bank account
- Just to be on the safe side - it's a good idea to empty the "recycling bin" on the computer before you leave and make sure you close the internet browser you are using
Also if you are using internet banking whilst abroad, you should try and check your accounts regularly (even just your balance from an atm) so that you can contact your bank quickly if you notice any unauthorised access.
[ Edit: Edited on 13-Jul-2010, at 01:57 by KoalaGirl ]
Thanks for reply's!
3 weeks to go, getting sorted I have binned the nationwide flex card I don't think they are as good as previous. gone with Sandander debit and credit.
Our house is rented out.
1 more jab to get.
Roll on August.
Nervous and Excited
Sandander is a good idea to use as like them and HSBC advertise they are known around the world
have a time on your travels