Ive just decided to go to thailand singapore and malaysia in April 11!! Cant wait!
However I will be travelling solo...just wondering if anyone else will be around at that time....Im ideally looking for people to travel with...make friends and have the time of life really :D
Also general adive on do's and donts :D
Sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned. When I was 19 I also took a similar trip solo and found that it was so easy to meet people. In fact it's probably harder to have any time to yourself when you are taking this kind of route!
So a few pieces of advice:
1. It is fine to eat food off the street markets, just try and look for somewhere that is fairly busy as the locals generally know where the best food is and if it is busy then the food hasn’t been sitting out in the sun too long.
2. When you arrive and people ask you how long you have been there, always say at least a month so people are less likely to try and rip you off if you already know the standard price. Most people are super friendly but why take the risk.
3. Don't get stressed if things don't always run on time, or are cancelled. Being laid back and taking things with a pinch of salt is the only way to travel and it is never the end of the world if you have to stay and extra day somewhere.
4. Take a few different types of money, i.e. travellers cheques, cash, credit card and keep them in different parts of you bag just in case you lose one.
5. let your bank know you are going to be away, my bank cancelled my card when I arrived in Thailand because they thought someone had stolen them.
6. Enjoy all the experiences, travelling is all about the experiences whether good or bad there will always be a story to look back and laugh about.
Hope this helps and have a wicked trip
p.s. in Malaysia try and go to the perhentian islands (north east coast) it is stunning. And don’t rush to Singapore its really only worth spending a couple of nights there and is generally super humid.
Thats great advice thankyou
Is it quite easy to get from thailand down to singapore??
Where did you go to? GOod one on the telling my bank...I went to America last year and they cancelled my card! Couldnt believe it: plus I was in vegas at the time so they probably did me a favour haha
hey allaina, i'm rosie im 19 and i'm also looking to go travelling sometime in 2011, definitely want to go to thailand not sure where else, how long were you thinking of going for? i need someone to go with too!