Skip Navigation

Schengen Zone Visa / Residence Permit

Travel Forums Europe Schengen Zone Visa / Residence Permit

1. Posted by em_rogers (Budding Member 3 posts) 6y


Here is my situation:

I am in Germany for 12 weeks working this summer, intending to travel for about two weeks after this. SO:

- I have Canadian citizenship and passport
- I arrived in Germany May 14, will leave Germany August 10, to travel in Italy and France
- I intend to leave from Paris August 28
- I have a residence permit allowing me to stay in Germany (and I am told, the Schengen zone in general) until August 23

What do I do about the 5 days from August 23 when my residence permit expires, until August 28 when I leave from Paris? I will not need to go between countries at all, it is just exiting the EU that I am concerned about.

I have heard mixed reviews on overstaying (some say it doesn't matter, some say it is very strict)

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 6y

hmm might be a problem, pending ur luck at the border. Spend your two weeks outside Shengen, Serbia? Bosnia? or Turkey?

3. Posted by em_rogers (Budding Member 3 posts) 6y


I received a reply from French consulate in Germany who controls visas. Turns out that Canadians have a special status where we can stay 90 days in France alone, regardless of previous countries visited.

So I'm fine!

Thanks anyways

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 6y

Did you get that reply via email? If yes, print it out and take it with you. If there are any problems show it to the immigration officer. You should also get some sort of proof (train ticket, flight ticket, reciepts from hostels, hotels, supermarkets, etc) about the length of your stay in France.

5. Posted by em_rogers (Budding Member 3 posts) 6y

Yeah, I have the email printed out. That plus the fact that its only 5 days should be fine.