Skip Navigation

Stay on long term visa counted against 90 day Shengen limit

Travel Forums Europe Stay on long term visa counted against 90 day Shengen limit

1. Posted by shankyoyea (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y

I will be studying in Spain in the fall this year. I have already obtained a Student Visa (type D) as my duration of stay is more than 90 days. I want to be able to travel across Europe while I am there, and so will be applying for a Shengen Visa (I'm an Indian national and need to apply for the Shengen Visa).

My questions are:
1. Will my stay in Spain (on a valid type D student visa) be counted against my 90 day limit on the Schengen Visa?
2. If my stay in Spain is not counted against my 90 day Shengen limit, how do the authorities assess how much time I've spent in Spain and how much in other Shengen countries?
3. I understand that I need to apply for the Shengen in the consulate of the country that is my main destination. In my case, that is Spain, for which I already have a valid student visa. So, should i still apply for the Shengen at the Spanish consulate or would any other country's consulate work? Are there any specific pros and cons associated with either option?

Nationality: Indian
Destination: Spain (as a student); Rest of EU (as a tourist)

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 6y

If you want to travel during your time in Spain you need to apply for a C+D visa, not a D visa.

if you already got the D visa then good luck getting a C visa. It is bound to be difficult. AFAIK they will have to reissue the D visa and change it into a C+D visa.

[ Edit: Edited on 01-Aug-2010, at 14:56 by t_maia ]

3. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 6y

Or they might just add a C visa. From what I've heard, Spanish consulate employees aren't entirely predictable in this respect. Either way, you're looking at a lot of new burocratic hassle. I'd try to track down the same person who helped you apply for the D-type visa and explain the situation. That might reduce the amount of explaining you will need to do.