I arrive in Australia early october for a year and just need a few things clearing up whilst im over there.
1) Will i need an adress for a bank account & car insurance etc if i choose to get a car as i am travelling and will not have a permanent adress whilst im over there.
2) Whats the best thing to do about transfering money from my English account to an australian account? Is it better to go through an exchange broker or is there any other ways?
3) Once my year in Australia is up im planning on having a few weeks in New Zealand just to see the sights etc, would i need a visa for entering New Zealand? & also would i be allowed back to Australia just to get a flight back to the UK?
Hi Danny, When I was in Australia I just used the hostel address for all my post. I only had the a bank account really. As for car insurance i'm not too sure.
As for getting your money their, I used American Express Travellers Cheques, they are accepted everywhere, I had mine issued by Barclays.
And yes you do need a Visa for New Zealand, You can get a 6 month torist visa. I've got a working visa for New Zealand, and I think they said the torist visa was for 6 months. Oh if your staying in hostels, you will not need a sleeping bag.
Hope this helps.
As Jason says you can just use a hostel address when you buy a car and need to give an address, thats what I did. As for car insurance, you get a basic insurance when you get your car rego, so that will cover you.
Re transferring money, I had a Nationwide account, so could take money out without any fees anywhere and just put it in my Oz account. My friend over here set up an Oz paypal account, and transferred money from his English bank account into his English Paypal account, and then into his Oz Paypal account and then into his Oz bank account. He said it took a little while to transfer the money over, but he paid no fees at all.
3) You will get a tourist visa on entering NZ, and the same applies to Australia, if you fly back via Australia you automatically get a three month tourist visa I believe.
Oh and I would give yourself as much time in NZ as possible - it is fantastic!
Hope this helps.
3) Once my year in Australia is up im planning on having a few weeks in New Zealand just to see the sights etc, would i need a visa for entering New Zealand?
No, a visit of up to three months (six months if you're from the UK) is visa-free for people from effectively all 'Western' countries (and a whole bunch of other countries, too; see the "visa-free countries" list linked to from this page).
would i be allowed back to Australia just to get a flight back to the UK?
Yes. As long as you stay within the airport, fly out within 8 hours (and are from one of the countries listed on this page), you don't need any type of visa for this. Otherwise I'd recommend applying for a free eVisitor, which allows you to stay in Australia for up to three months. (There's also a free transit visa if you're not eligible for the no-visa transit, but still do fly out within 72 hours.)
note: unlike what previous posters have said, Australia does not automatically grant a visa on arrival. If you're not transitting within less than 8 hours, you need to apply for some kind of visa in advance.
[ Edit: Edited on 11-Aug-2010, at 06:08 by Sander ]
Travellers checks are good but the best way to transfer money i found is to do it online with -snip-. You can transfer money from your UK account to your bank account in Australia and vice versa and it's all done online. There's a small fee but it's so handy.
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]