Skip Navigation

Want to rent a bed in an RV thats driving around the world?

Travel Forums Round the World Travel Want to rent a bed in an RV thats driving around the world?


Last Post

11. Posted by megtravels (Budding Member 23 posts) 6y

This sounds like an amazing idea, i wouldn't be able to come for the start of it, but if your going to be travelling around for a few years i'd be interested in joining in for 2012... don't know if your thinking that far, but if you are then let me know!
All the best, megan

12. Posted by taylerhugh (Budding Member 10 posts) 6y


I was planning on leaving around 2012 anyway. I will have to save up to be able to afford the trip. The way I see it, the best way to travel is with a RV. More space, shower, storage, wont have to pay for hostel, go where we want when we want, we can make it up as we go along if need be etch. There were a couple other people interested. If we get enough we can start actually planning. The more we get the cheaper it will be for each of us.

I have Facebook so add me on there and we can chat more.



13. Posted by lil_gun_14 (Budding Member 55 posts) 6y

I would be up for this!!! Im going North america for a year in feb so would only be able to come if its not in the USA unless in the time im away i get a job then a green card!! Also im in clacton so only up the road from you Tayler


14. Posted by jayway (Budding Member 15 posts) 6y

Which country will you be starting from, Tayler - England? As you put the price of the R.V. in $ maybe you are starting in the U.S.? thanks - jayway

15. Posted by taylerhugh (Budding Member 10 posts) 6y

Hey Leanne and Jayway,

All I will be doing in America is buying the RV and driving it back to the UK, which is where we will be leaving from.



16. Posted by megtravels (Budding Member 23 posts) 6y

From where in the US would you start to be driving it back to the UK?

17. Posted by taylerhugh (Budding Member 10 posts) 6y

Hey Megan,

It will depend on where in the country the RV is that the group decides to buy.



18. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2477 posts) 6y

It's one thing to charge people for a bed in order to cover expenses... it's a whole 'nother issue entirely to ask people to actually invest.

Investing in the motorhome itself involves a legal contract re ownership and in my opinion no one with any common sense would do that with a stranger - there are WAY better ways to invest your travel dollars.

Good luck, but I don't see how your venture makes sense now...


19. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2477 posts) 6y

"... All I will be doing in America is buying the RV and driving it back to the UK, which is where we will be leaving from..."


Are you serious?! Have you investigated the cost of shipping an RV from North America to the UK ?!?!?!


20. Posted by megtravels (Budding Member 23 posts) 6y

Found this on the web... just so ppl know what would need to happen...

Importing an RV from the USA into the UK.

First you must choose a shipping company or you could use an agent instead.

Shipping Companies:-

Shipping Agents:- (have used and recommend these) (have used these prior to the above)

Wainwright Bros & Co
Bowling Green House 1 Orchard Place
Southampton Hampshire SO14 3PX
Tel: (02380 223671)

Insurance to cover the RV during the shipping will cost around 1.5% of the Value. Shipping costs will be between $110 and $150 per foot. The calculation is actually the Volume of the RV ie: Height x Length x Width = per Cubic foot or metre.

An agent acting on your behalf to deal with Customs and gain clearance costs between £40 (Brunswick) and as much as they can charge (others not named).
If you wish to do the clearance yourself?
You will need this form

Customs Duty and VAT calculations are :-

10% Customs Duty on the RV’s Value (or purchase price) + Shipping charges.

17.5% VAT on the RV’s Value + Shipping charges + Duty.

Once you have had the RV cleared from Customs, a Collection/Delivery note will be sent to you to allow you to pick up your RV from the Docks. You will receive the C&E 386 form (Customs clearance) usually by post within 3 to 5 days.

Legally, you are allowed one trip in the RV to either your home address, or a company to carry out the conversions necessary for UK use on the road. Providing of course that the RV is insured in the UK. Insurance companies will quite happily insure an RV for up to 2 weeks for this purpose based on the VIN number.

Once the RV has been converted to UK road use, it must either have an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) if less than 10 years old or a class IV (4) MOT if older than 10years old.
Having said that. A friend from Liverpool who imported a brand new RV went to the SVA and they said Motorhomes were exempt. Told him he better make sure.

To register the RV in the UK you will require the following:-
The Original Title Document
The Original Bill of Sale for the RV
The C&E 386
Form V55/4 (new) or V55/5 (used), from DVLA.
The MOT or SVA Certificate
Insurance Document
The correct fee for Licence for 6/12 months
The Registration fee of £38 (currently)
Documents proving and confirming your name and address:-
Documentation confirming your Name · Current DVLA paper driving licence, · UK/EU or foreign passport,· Marriage certificate,· Decree nisi/absolute, · Birth certificate. Documentation confirming your Address· Utility Bill valid within the last 3 months - gas, electricity, water, landline telephone, · Bank/Building Society statement valid within the last 3 months, · Medical Card, · Council tax bill for current year.

All the information necessary to import and register a Vehicle in the UK can be found here :-

Customs -

Duty & VAT -

VCA (Vehicle Type Approval) -

Enquiries to these two for shipping and carrying passengers:-

Can you save Import Duty & VAT? Yes. All the information can be found here:-

Paul (ukrv) has imported free of Import Duty & VAT into the UK. He has contacted and discussed the situation with HM Customs & Excise. His communications with them and the replies can be found here:-