I'm starting this new thread just to keep track of updates to the mapping software. There's quite regular fixes and improvements coming through at this point that it deserves a thread of its own. Also, if you notice any problems, then feel free to report them here!
The latest update went live on Thursday, with a minor fix on Friday. In this update:
- Embedding issues were resolved for Internet Explorer 7/8 where it wasn't working before.
- In embedded maps in Chrome and Safari, the info window wasn't staying close to the embedded maps like it should. It is now.
- The styling in embedded maps info windows is more robust now.
- There was a problem with characters being encoded at the wrong time, resulting in people having titles like "PeterEs Trip". Fixed that.
- Trips are now sorted by their dates in your trip map. The most recent one will show at the top and the oldest one at the bottom. If a trip doesn't have any dates set, then it will show after any trips that do have dates. Good reason to include dates!
- You can now manipulate the curve of the line that shows your trip (only for flights). This might have actually gone live in an earlier version come to think of it.
- A bug was resolved with the colour picker used to choose what colour your trip was.
[ Edit: Edited on 03-Oct-2010, at 16:01 by Peter ]
Hi Peter, I notice in my SW China trip map, when I select Ping'an, the window that opens doesn't pickup the associated photo. Also if I select the associated blog in the newly opened window the next window that opens doesn't bring up the map on that blog page. The other thing I notice is if you select a place on a map, opening the next info window, the map then centres itself but probably should stay a little to the left of centre. Also on other trip maps when selecting a location the window that opens either doesn't include photo's from that location or the associated blog. perhaps its just a matter of dates or something. Finally, when in the update trip map page, the list of trips is not sorted newest to oldest, as it is when just viewing the list of trips. These are just observations, not something that needs urgent attention.
Hi Peter, I notice in my SW China trip map, when I select Ping'an, the window that opens doesn't pickup the associated photo.
Right, the problem here is that although the photo and trip stop are both pointing at Ping'an, their latitude/longitude is actually quite different. And far enough apart that the map doesn't recognize the photo as relating to that location. If you drag your Ping'an map stop (or photo) to be as accurate as possible, then you will see the photo in that info window.
Also if I select the associated blog in the newly opened window the next window that opens doesn't bring up the map on that blog page.
Interesting I just tried this and it did actually bring up the map. Although with a significant delay. It could be that you clicked away before it loaded up. We probably need a holding graphic for those embedded maps to avoid that particular issue.
The other thing I notice is if you select a place on a map, opening the next info window, the map then centres itself but probably should stay a little to the left of centre.
Also on other trip maps when selecting a location the window that opens either doesn't include photo's from that location or the associated blog. perhaps its just a matter of dates or something.
This is indeed most likely the same situation as the Ping'an one above - with the locations just not being quite close enough together. The more detailed you are (with dates and locations), the better we are able to match up photos and blog entries.
[/quote]Finally, when in the update trip map page, the list of trips is not sorted newest to oldest, as it is when just viewing the list of trips. These are just observations, not something that needs urgent attention.[/quote]
I should have mentioned - this sorting will only kick in for each map after you edit it. There is some heavy caching going on to ensure everything loads as fast as possible. The next time you make a save to your map, it will refresh that and should sort according to dates. If you have edited your trips in the last few days, let me know since something might not be working right.
Thanks Peter, I sorted the Ping'an photo location and it works fine now. With the delayed loading of the map, I tried it again and waited for about 5mins and it still didn't load, but it's not a big problem. One other thing, when you zoom into a map and select a location, when it centres itself, the map zooms back out again, it would be nice if the map stayed at the zoomed in view. With the sorting of trips, this only happened when I pressed the 'my trips' option, but I'll try saving again and see what happens. Thanks again for your help!
Latest version has just gone live. Fixes are:
- Default transport mode is now blank, not airplane. Best not to assume these things! It will still show as a curved line though.
- Pasting information into the notes area (using paste in the file menu) and hitting save now will actually save it.
- Deleting stops is now possible in Facebook as well (total oversight there)
- When there are a lot of locations grouped into one marker, a scroll bar will appear in the info window so you can actually get to them all. It was an issue when there were like 25 markers or more grouped.
- Fix for a "Searching for Existing Trips" message that got stuck when you loaded the map page without being logged in.
The sorting of trips reverting to unsorted and the zooming out problem are both on the to-do list to be fixed. I hope to have those done for the next release.
And another version live. Fixed some bugs that came in with the previous one as well as resolving a bunch of outstanding ones.
- If you're zoomed in and click on a stop, it won't zoom out anymore like it was doing
- Sorting bug fixed. It will now also be sorted when you click on the Trips List link after navigating to a trip
- Fixed an embedding issue where if the zoom was set to a non-round number, the map tiles would not show sometimes.
- Created some extra rigour in ensuring saved trip data is accurate. Every 10 saves, it does a check with the database to ensure the cached version is in sync with the data that is stored and updates it if not. Shouldn't really happen, but it has in the past and this guard should avoid future problems.
- Fixed the url that is provided when you click on the "link" option. Was incorrect.
- Dragging markers wasn't working properly. Works now.
We're actually getting to a point where there aren't a whole lot of known bugs left. Right now one of the main things we're working on is providing a faster load of the view with all the trips (particularly affecting some old hardware) and with that an option to download all your trip information in KML format. This will allow you to load your trips into Google Earth. Should be pretty fun
Please let us know of any more bugs you find though and we'll hunt them down!
Hi I have been having problems with the new map since it went up. For the most part when I click on the save button to update my changes it will not respond. Everything else on the page responds however. The save button was responding occasionally, but now I am getting nothing.
Last time I updated I switched on auto save instead and this seemed to work. I have just gone back on to the map today and the changes I made last time (that were still there a few days after I made them) are now gone. I can not get the save button to work and auto save is not helping any more.
Is this a common problem and what can I do?
Hi becks, it's not a problem I'm aware of yet. Doesn't mean it's not real though!
There was an issue at one stage with the save button requiring two clicks. I believe that is resolved now (at least, I haven't experienced myself in recent times). Can you let me know which browser (and version of that browser) you are using? This will help to debug the problem and resolve it.
I uploaded a new version of the maps a few hours ago. Unfortunately there is a bug that I'm working on resolving - the lines aren't showing on any of the trips.
This new version introduces the following
- KML export (you can use the exported file to load your trips into Google Earth)
- CSV export (you can use this file to load your trips into Excel or any other spreadsheet program if you need the data)
- Link to Facebook app (has been rather missing since the redesign!)
- Using KML to draw the lines in "all trips" mode. This should mean significant speed improvements in Internet Explorer in particular. Of course, we'll need to actually have the lines showing first!
It also fixes some bugs, most notably a bug that meant deleting trips was causing some corrupted caches.
Hopefully I'll have the issues with the lines sorted shortly. It's a good update - honest
UPDATE: I've decided to revert this change for now, until I can work out the lines thing. The export link is a little broken for now, but Facebook link will still work. I hope to have this problem resolved tomorrow.
[ Edit: update ]