Im going to India with a friend for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb. The only plan so far is to go and teach in a school in Calcutta for a couple of weeks.
I've spent 2 months in India last year but went down the west coast, so new to the East, but not new to the country :-)
I have a few questions and hope you can help
- good places to see, eat and drink and Calcutta (we will have the accomodation sorted).
- good places around Calcutta to travel on our first two weekends when we're not teaching (day-trip sort of places)
- any places to go in East India - ie in Orissa (how are the beaches there? clean? can we wear swimsuits or have to cover up?), Sikkim and Assam
- permits for Sikkim and Assam - are they difficult to get? expensive? how to do it?
- I want to learn Tabla - anyone knows of a good place to learn it? Ideally in Calcutta or in the East (Varanasi included)
I know this is a lot of questions but any answer to this will really help me!!!