Skip Navigation

USA Visa required for Brit?

Travel Forums North America USA Visa required for Brit?

1. Posted by Rory_Z (Budding Member 40 posts) 6y

I'm a British Citizen and currently travelling on working holiday visas (WHV) through Australia and NZ until Jan 2012, after which point I had intended to go on to do something similar in America and Canada...

Having started to research this, it appears Canada offers a WHV option (I think), but as far as I can learn from the internet you're only allowed to visit the USA for up to 90 days (or a shorter time, depending on the US airport officials discretion).

As a UK Citizen the Visa Waiver program allows this without needing a visa.

Are there any other options that allow for a longer stay, as 3 months or less is not a lot of time to see such a large country..
Otherwise, what are the laws about going out of the US after 90 days and returning at a slightly later date?
I'm so confused about this. If only it was as simple as getting visas for Australia and NZ.
Stupid America :-(

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Posted by lil_gun_14 (Budding Member 55 posts) 6y

As Brit you can only work in America if you are in a profession that they need, e.g. doctor etc or unless you already have a job there with a company that your employed with in other parts of the world

Or unless you get a job and your employer sponsors you to stay

You cant work legally in the states on just a b2 tourist visa which is for a year

Only work you can get is cash but obviously its illegal and highly unlikely because of the recession

With the ESTA 90 waiver you can travel for up to 90 days but dont overstay as the chances of you getting back in after this are slim to none!

Basically, go for 90 days, dont work and leave when your time is up

Ring the us embassy in London they will be able to tell you 100% what to do and where you stand

3. Posted by Rory_Z (Budding Member 40 posts) 6y


I don't suppose you know, by any chance, how long you have to wait before you can use a second ESTA, or where you have to travel to to activate it (I am pretty sure you have to get out of all the countries classed as North America...)

4. Posted by lil_gun_14 (Budding Member 55 posts) 6y

I dont know sorry but ring the u.s embassy wherever u are and they can tell ya!