Dom, seems like everyone is feeding you so much information that soon you will have no choice but to do the entire India to be satisfied.
some helpful information:
- A US dollar is translated to INR 45 indian currency
- A litre of bottled mineral water will cost you INR 12
- Medicine here are cheap but bring your own if you can for a piece of mind
- When you are buying souveniers, make sure you start from 50 to 60% less than the one they are asking for.
- Iam sure when you arrive you will arrive at Delhi International Airport - if you arrive early in the morning then it's no point leaving the airport if you have a early connecting flight - stay inside the airport and at the arrivals you can find everything there - there is bar, food concessions, travel guide counters and if you need anything else like shower, nap or massage then there is an Arrival lounge there for travelers to rest.
- Cash is the mode of payments but becareful how you carry it - in places you are travelling sometimes they don't take cards. - Spread your money around.
- If you are going to eat at roadside establishments then ensure you wipe the utensils clean (very Important).
The reson why Iam telling you these simple stuffs? because I did not do it and learnt it the hardway.
Go to Darjeeling if you have time and see the sunrise out of the Mount Kancenjunga -it's the way God meant the world to be.