Skip Navigation

Information req for Road Trip LON - FRA - ITA

Travel Forums Europe Information req for Road Trip LON - FRA - ITA

1. Posted by daddyowzer (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hi forumites,

Would greatly appreciate advice on the following;

I'm from Singapore and we are planning a "road trip" with my family 2A 4C (2 above 17) to Europe. The plan is to buy a cheap mini-bus or MPV in London and then take it across to France where we will head to Paris & Paris Disneyland, then drive down to Lourdes, making our way to Rome via Nice or Florence first, whichever is easier. :)

1) Is it difficult to buy/own a vehicle from UK then take it across to France
2) will we have any problems driving into Italy
3) will insurance cost a bomb

Greatly appreciate all the advice we can get. Many thanks guys!

2. Posted by flyingbob (Inactive 842 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Travelling from the UK to France - and onward across The EU in a UK registered vehicle, is easy and hassle free. Do check the insurance options before you part with any cash though. If you're not a UK resident, obtaining insurance is going to cost you - I fear, quite a bit more in premiums.
You must also buy a Road Fund Licence (Road Tax) for use in the UK too. Even if you're only planning to drive it from (say) London to Dover - and both buy it and leave The UK within a few hours, the minimum tax you can purchase is 6 months, which costs around £100. Once you have left the country, if you don't plan to bring the vehicle back and sell it abroad, you can apply for a refund of the unused Tax. If you attempt to drive it on the road in The UK without Tax and either the police or VOSA stop you, your vehicle will be confiscated on the spot. Both the police and VOSA have tracking devices in their vehicles. They need to just point their camera at your vehicle number plate - and will know instantly whether or not your vehicle is both Taxed and insured. Incidentally, you cannot Tax a UK vehicle, without it first having at least 'Third Party Only' insurance cover. Also, bear in mind that a UK vehicle will be hard to sell in The EU - as the steering wheel is on the right and most Europeans won't go near it.
The actual driving from France-Italy will be without complications. You can take either the free roads or tolls. Either will get you there. Obviously, if you pay tolls - you'll get there quicker, but what's the rush?
Your cheapest option of getting across from The UK to Europe is probably with Norfolk-Line. Other ferry operators have deals too - so just Google 'Cross Channel Ferries' and check out all the deals.

3. Posted by daddyowzer (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Many many thanks for the valueable advice. Ive also heard of companies like renault that lease vehicles out. do you thin that is better?

Im also intending to get a vehicle (prefb a minibus) at about 1500 pounds max. Drive it to Manchester, then back to London and across to France, ending in Rome. Not sure if I'll be able to sell it in Italy though.

Any recommendations? Many thanks in advance flyingbob.