Skip Navigation

Canadian: staying in Europe over 90 days

Travel Forums Europe Canadian: staying in Europe over 90 days

1. Posted by ccitizen (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Dear t_maia,

would you please clarify something for me.

I am a Canadian citizen staying currently with my fiancee (who is French) in Paris. I don't have any EU visas, and am just staying with a normal Canadian passport. In about 3 weeks my 90 days in France will run out... I am looking for a job focusing on Paris and London with hopes that a potential employer will do a work permit for me.

My understanding is that I can only stay 90 days in 180 days.

1) Is there a way to extend it? I mean can I get some kind of extension from within France?
2) What happens if I stay longer? Lets say if I will be returning to Canada lets say 7 days after my 90 days, how serious would that be? Would I be blacklisted for future visits?... What happens if I stay 90 days + 30 days: is it more serious than overstaying 7 days, or just as bad?
3) What if I get a new passport? Or is it not about the stamps, but is recorder in the computer?

If there is no solution - I will have to go back to Canada and apply for a visa for France, etc...

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,


2. Posted by MARTIN99 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!


Well, in France the legal system work on the basis that " if not defined-by written on the code civil -as forbiden, it's legal"
thsi is an french revolution heritage, it means that if 89 days before your arrival, you leave the country , nobody can stop you from entering again in the french territory.
The problem is that you can't work without a permit
Be aware if you work undeclared to the social sécurité.
Another way is you go 3 days to GB which is not a Shengen space, in order to avoid to go back to Canada
Good luck

3. Posted by ccitizen (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Thank you Martin!

3 days in UK? But why 3 days per se? I though I have to leave EU for 90 days - not only 3. Can you please send me the source of that info if you have it available.

i am not worried about "working without papers" since i am not going to do that... i just want to stay longer for now.