Skip Navigation

Australian working holiday

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Australian working holiday

1. Posted by melissap (Budding Member 8 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!


I am going on an australian working holiday in about a week, and have pretty much everything sorted!
However, in the Australia working holiday guide (given by the visa bureau) it mentions possible training that I might need to do before I go, and suggests that I get an RSA certificate (for bar work etcetera) and a Food Hygiene Health Sector Certificate (should I want to work around food, as a waitress for example). How relevant is this, do I actually need to do these courses in order to get hospitality jobs whilst I'm over there? I have a few friends travelling around Australia already and none have mentioned these courses to me, but I thought it was worth looking up before I spend the £60/70 it costs to do them.

Any answers are appreciated! Thanks x

2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

You may want to look around for different places to do the RSA if you want to work dealing with alcohol (and also note that different states probably have different requirements). You might find somewhere which is cheaper than that (and you've already overpaid for the visa - £240 from Visa Bureau (according to their website) rather than £155 direct from DIAC).

Hopefully someone who has gone through the RSA process will be along to point you towards alternatives worth thinking about - it's always good to look at a few options if they're there! And yes, if you go for a job in a bar or otherwise service alcohol you will need a valid RSA.

[ Edit: Edited on 21-Feb-2011, at 19:43 by mojorob ]

3. Posted by shorty100 (Full Member 144 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

I have been looking into this for myself and found a good website which seems cheaper than the prices you have said. For $85.00 you can get your National RSA & OLGR Queensland RSA certificates. This will allow you to work in W.A, S.A, A.C.T, N.T & Queensland.

I'll send you the website


4. Posted by sarahtea (Budding Member 16 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

I still hope it can be done over there! just a case of finding a place to steal wifi for the 4 hours it apparently takes to do the course online!

5. Posted by MissyTravl (Budding Member 32 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

@Shorty100, could you send me that website too please , thanks a lot

6. Posted by aoife1986 (Budding Member 27 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Claire, Would you mind sending it to me too, thanks a million :)

7. Posted by Jem Jones (Budding Member 16 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

I'm also looking at this, and was wondering the same thing (and I also overpaid on the Visa!) from what I can see, the online RSA course works everywhere apart from New South Wales, which is where I'll be spending the majority of my time!!! D: Apparently for a valid RSA there, I need to sit in on a course when I get there, which costs another $85. So I'm not sure now whether to take both courses, as I am planning to travel around quite a bit. :/

Very complicated and rather expensive!!! But I manage a pub in the UK, so that's the field I'd feel most comfortable in.

8. Posted by Jem Jones (Budding Member 16 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

These websites may be useful to you: for the online RSA course for New South Wales, which you can't do online