Skip Navigation

1. Posted by jsteevey (Budding Member 19 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hi all... looking for some advice,

Just booked an rtw off on the 18th of June.. so excited... Its my first time travelling and just wanted to get some advice on whats the best way to apply for visa's???

Am I best applying before I go or on my way round??

Countries i'm travelling to are China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, New Zeland and Fiji...

Also does anyone know if you can get a years working visa in Oz or New Zeland when your 29/30, i know from the site it says 18 to 30 just wondered if that included the year of 30.. if ya know what I mean...????

Any help and advice greatly appricated and if anyone is in any of those countries over the next year let me know... :) :) :)

2. Posted by kichikacha (Respected Member 328 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!


Recommend obtaining visa for china and vietnam at home. So, you won't have to wait in china and spend your time getting visa for vietnam, although possible to get it there too.

Cambodia, arrange visa in Vietnam, either thru embassy or a local agent (will be very easy to find one in tourist areas).

Laos, you can pick up visa at the border, make sure you have sufficient us$, so you won't pay more in other ccy.

Thailand - check online if you need visa. You can also arrange thai visa in cambodia or in laos.

Malaysia, most likely you won't need a visa. But check it.

OZ / NZ - better to do more research / inquire at embassy to find out more.

This is a good page to start with: if you are UK citizen, if other, still easy to find it for your nationaliy. just type in google: visa requirement for x nationals wikipedia
You can also start with your the ministry of foreign affairs website of you country.

Hope this helped.

3. Posted by Dodger (Inactive 873 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

First off congratulations on taking the plunge into the wide blue yonder.

Second my advice would be to do a lot of this research yourself, read, read, read.

Visa requirements are different for travelers from different foreign countries. Your profile says you are from the UK so thats what I'll try and give you info on what I know.

Just to confuse things a bit more there are different categories. You could be required a visa, or a visa waiver, or you could get a visa on arrival, or a visa waiver on arrival.

Thailand you can get a visa waiver on arrival, but it changes if you are flying in or making a land crossing. Thailand had been waiving the fee for their tourist visa, this you'd have to apply for before you entered. The advantage to it is it gives you an extended stay over the visa waiver.

Cambodia you can get a visa on arrival, but if I remember rightly you need US dollars, you must also have two passport pictures.

Malaysia is visa waiver on arrival.

Australia is visa waiver for 3 months, but it needs to be applied for before you enter. you can do this online. its free.

NZ is pretty much 6 month visa on arrival.

Fiji is visa on arrival 3 months I think.

Ok working. Australia I think as long as you apply before your 30th you are ok. NZ I believe is actually 35 so you are good there. But I don't think you can apply for the working visa's while you are in the country on a visitors visa.

Couple of bits of advice. Get a bunch of passport pictures while in the UK. You'll need them for various visas and it will save you a bit of hassle. Have a photocopy of your main page of your passport and tuck it away somewhere different from where you keep you passport. Never keep all your money, cards etc in one place.

4. Posted by jsteevey (Budding Member 19 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Thanks for all your help guys... :)