I am after your help and advice. There are five of us flying into Cancun in June for two weeks. In that time we intend to travel around a few places and see as much as we can.
Ideally we would like to spend a couple a few nights in Mexico to begin with, and then we would like to head to Belize and possibly Guatemala and if possible fly back to Cancun.
Please can you give me some ideas of where to go? What to do? What to avoid etc?
Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated
- The cayes (islands) off the coast of Belize City are said to be very nice. You have to take boat from the port in the center opposite the main post office.
- We went to mainland beach town Placencia, it was nice, but the above is said to be better.
- Many people use San Ignacio near Guatemala border to arrange organized treks to caves (one of the largest cave system in the world) and to other jungle, etc excursions.
Best to read more info on http://www.letsgo.com/431-belize_and_guatemala-travel-guides-belize-d
Belize in general is safe. However, Belize City can be quite dangerous, so don't plan more than using it as a point of transit and take taxi even from bus station to port (less than 1km from each other). I also heard that Orange Walk was a dodgy town too.
Rest is all safe and fine.
Guatemala: since your time is limited focus only on the north
- highly recommend visiting Tikal (Mayan ruins) and nearby El Remate with it beautiful lake.
- if you are short of time, you can skip Flores, it's nice but wouldn't go all the way there...
- there is also another site halfway on belize border and el remate road, about 10 kms off the road. we didn't go there but locals recommended it.
Enjoy your holiday!