Skip Navigation

Is a Transit Visa (Schengen Visa Type C) ok for tourism?

Travel Forums Europe Is a Transit Visa (Schengen Visa Type C) ok for tourism?

1. Posted by lifeiscool2011 (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hello. I had applied for a Hungarian visa. I wanted to travel for 8 days as tourist in Budapest and 2 days transit to go to England this year.i asked the visa officer if i need to apply seperately for transit visa and seperately for tourist visa.. he said that won't be necessary.. the visa I got is valid for 90 days maximum stay and valid for 1 year(march 2012) . Its a multiple entry C visa BUT THE REMARKS SAY "TRANSIT". It expires in march next year.

MY MAIN QUERY- CAN THIS VISA BE USED FOR TOURISM PURPOSES OR TOURISM C VISA IS DIFFERENT? Can I use that visa for traveling to another schengen as a tourist without passing through Hungary? Or do I have to apply for a separate tourist schengen visa? the visa officer said that te authorities don't bother so much.. but i don't know what is the right way of going about it

2. Posted by kichikacha (Respected Member 328 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!


Recommend reading this first:

You can travel freely within Schengen zone, practically there are no borders, so there is no passport check usually. Most airports now have a free corridor to flights within the schengen zone, so you don't even have to go through immigration control.
List of schengen zone countries are on the above website.

Note: UK is not part of Schengen, they have separate borders and therefore checks. So, do check if you can travel to the UK as well.

Visa category "C" is normally not for transit, those are "A" and "B". So, please do check with the embassy again to make sure there is no confusion or mistake done to you visa.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding your stay in Hungary.

Happy travels!

3. Posted by lifeiscool2011 (Budding Member 2 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

thank you for the reply. I asked him about it. he said no one really bothers to ask at the immigration control of the 1st schengen state you enter.. it is a c visa.. only the remarks at the end of the visa says transit...

4. Posted by zulu422 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

I too have received a Type C visa with remarks as Transit. I plan to travel by car from Bulgaria to the UK.
Did you have any issues at the immigration ? And throughout the Schengen zone?