I need some answers, please help!!
1. Is there a cheap hotel near by the airport? My flight arrives in HK @ 11:30pm and I am flying to Bangkok the next day @ 1045am. I can not afford the nearest hotels, that I found. I need like $50 US for the night .. am I dreaming?
2. If I can't find a room for cheap, and no I am not wasting time or money to get to HK Island for a cheap room, can I sleep in front of the check-in counters? Cause I plan to.
3. I am also flying back from Singapore to HK and get in around 10:25am. Then I have an international flight from HKG to Taipei and onward back to the US taking off @ 1:25pm. Do I have enough time to go through immigrations, collect luggage, pass customs, check-in and go through security? About 3 hours from landing to takeoff ... or should I arrange a flight the evening before and once again sleep in the damn airport?!!???
I am Grace from Shanghai, China.
per your questions, please kindly find my advices as below:
1. $50 US is possible in HK downtown small hotel, but impossible to find a hotel near by the airport.
2. Yes, you can just sleep in HK airport and a lot of travellers did that. But air condition in HK airport is very cold, please make sure you take enough clothes.
3. 3 hours is almost impossible to transfer international flight unless 2 flights under the same airplain company.
Point 2 - You can also book a sleep room in the airport - its booked on a 'by hour basis' starting with a 3 hour minimum ($HK450 + $HK150 extra hours) and means you can at least lie flat for a few hours in a private dark room as well as have a shower. This might not fit in with your budget but there are other options - see the lounges website via HKA website.
Point 3 - check the details of your transfer to find out if you need to actually check in or if you can be checked right through when you initially check in at SGA (Grace's point about being with the same airline). Its worth looking at the airport website for details on transfer times or speak to your travel agent but 3 hours might be pushing it to check out and then in again to your flight - especially as the airport is so big and it will take time to get from departures to the gate.
If I were you I'd seek more advice from whoever has sold you the ticket - by rights they shouldn't give you a transfer that you couldn't make in normal circumstances (note that flight delays don't equal normal circumstances). If you booked the whole journey yourself through the internet as seperate flights check the HKA website for details on transfers first before looking to buy another flight.
Grace - I don't see how 3 hours isnt enough time .. when that is pretty standard every where in the world. And, I've been reading that it takes no more than 45 to go through immigration/luggage/customs to get back to the departure hall. The flights are not on the same airline, and I have no bought my flight from SIN to HKG yet. I do see the point if the flight is delayed, and that is what prompted me to ask questions. Thank you!
TravelMc - Thanks for the info on the HKG rooms, I'll look up on that. I can budget 400-600 HKD so I guess, I could get that for 4 hours, then dip, and leave. I don't think I will be checked through at all because I have luggage for 1, a US passport for 2, pretty sure I have to go the counter. UGH! It would have been 4 hours from flight to flight .. but stupid China Air just changed the freaking time departing HKG. 4 Hours I though there wouldn't be a problem. I haven't booked the flight yet.
I know times vary, but can you tell me how long it, on average, is to clear immigration/luggage/customs?