Now, I don't really mind all that much what browser you use to access this site as it should work in pretty much anything, but I think it's worth making a case to ye regulars and other visitors why you shouldn't be using IE to browse the internet anymore. There are much better alternatives and you will be doing not only yourself, but the whole www a service by choosing them over Microsoft's proprietary and buggy browser.
I know this is probably pretty boring to most, but hey - it's something to chat about and I hope to convince some of you to try a much better alternative in the free for all Firefox!
Here's some things to think about:
- IE is probably the least modern Standards Compliant browser available today. In real terms, this means that developers have to constantly dumb their sites down just so they will work in IE (sadly it does have a rather large market share). In other words, the quicker we can move on to a time when it's less than 1% of users, the faster the internet will mature.
- It doesn't have tabbed browsing. Why open a new browser window constantly, when you can use tabs to keep multiple pages open within the one browser window?
- It doesn't support text zoom. Well, actually it does on the Mac, but that's another story. Simply speaking, this means that you as a viewer can't simply hit alt+ to make the text larger at a whim.
- It's a nightmare for spyware and a security disaster waiting to happen. An alternative like Firefox that easily controls popups and queries you before installing anything dangerous could save you hours and $$$ trying to fix the latest bit of annoying ad software.
- Microsoft has pretty much stopped updating it as a standalone product, instead stating that new updates will only be made available with an upgrade to the Operating System. You won't be able to get IE7, until you update to Windows Longhorn basically (can you really wait that long?)
That covers some of the most important points. I will say that, unfortunately, we still need IE, because of some very inconsiderate (and in my opinion incompetent) site developers, who have made functions that only work with IE. But those times are rare and you can always resort to it when you really need to.
So, if you haven't already, now is the time to
upgrade to Firefox!!.
Tell your friends.