The "travel songs" post got me thinking... Since smell is the sense most directly related to memory, certain whiffs of this or that will send me right back to a favourite vacation memory.
Some of my own olfactory links:
- Cheap hairspray (I'd bought a small can), peppermint essential oil, strong coffee = Paris
- Fried fish = Spain
- Salt water = Florida
- Chocolate massage bar from Lush = Ireland
- Beignets, garbage, old-bar-smell = New Orleans
- My sister's perfume = NZ
Good one Tina! I always associate smells with trips I've taken. Here's my list (and my final attempt at using the bullet system!)
- Juniper body spray: London, England
- Chocolate (pralines to be exact), incense, rain, & cajun spices (cause you can definitely smell them when you pass by restaurants): New Orleans
- Calgon Hawaiian Ginger body spray: Cuba
- Krispy Kreme doughnuts: Las Vegas (it was the first time I had ever smelled them, but I didn't try any)
- Salt water & seaweed: Florida & Cape Cod
I think that about rounds it up! I'll let you guys know what smells I associate with Costa Rica!
P.S. HOORAY! I FINALLY GOT THE LIST TO WORK!!!!!!!
The smell of Fulham Palace Road in Hammersmith on a warm Summer's day is quite unique.
But I was walking along Broadway in Sydney near the University of Technology the other day when I smelt the same smell. It's a heady mixture of "Summer", car exhaust, flowers, and melting bitumen, and I was instantly transported back to Hammersmith; traipsing back from the Tesco Metro with a backpack full of shopping.
how about creamy room of farts in greece when i shared a room with my mates when we went there... mmmmmm
Okay, here are a few of mine......
- Damp smelling things = Ottawa (because of the Rideau Canal) and Venice
- Pretzels and pizza = New York
- Summer (you know, on a really sunny day when you have the breeze in your hair and you just want to sit on the grass all day) = Paris
- Salt water and chocolate with nuts in it = San Sebastien
- Eggs and potatoes (cuz of Tappas) and B.O. (lots of stinky people in out hostel) = Barcelona
- Calamare = Nice/Monaco
- Old man scent (that's what our hotel room smelled like) = Florence
The smell of pine reminds me of Yosemite in California...
"Green Tea" by Elizabeth Arden reminds me of backpacking around Italy..bought it in the Duty Free on the way over there...
The smells of hotdogs (Bratwurst) reminds me of Zurich...
Horrible fishy smell - Venice
Funny that this thread came back up! I went shopping at lunch today and found this peppermint soap ($14 a bar ) and I was instantly back in NZ. I think I bought a peppermint something there - not uniquely NZ, but the memory was instantaneous.
Yeah I love that - the way just a smell can take you right back to something you'd almost forgotten
I dont know if youve ever tried the Body's Shop Cocoa Butter Body Butter - it reminds me of everywhere I travel in a way because I always bring it with me.
If you have not tried it yet, go out and buy it. It is divine....