Skip Navigation

Americans in England

Travel Forums Europe Americans in England


Last Post

11. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4136 posts) 12y

I don't the the English would care if you're from the US. And who cares anyway? Life's too short to waste your time defending yourself about your country of origin. Tell 'em to get stuffed if you have to.

12. Posted by KCambello (Budding Member 13 posts) 12y

I agree that life is short but I think that I should get something like permission from the people who live there. It isn't my country. I love their country I will probably move ther no matter what they say but I want to make sure I'm not making people upset. I don't think I am making any sense but it is hard putting what I am thinking into words I guess. I think what I will do is start with a study abroad program from my college. I want to move there though.:)

13. Posted by SKR (Full Member 47 posts) 12y

You've honestly nothing to worry about coming to live in the UK - you wont be upsetting anybody by living here....Britain, and especially London, has a very diverse population with people from all over the world. You can barely walk down the road in London for hearing American, Australian, South African, Italian, French accents etc...the list goes on...and the diversity is what makes this place great to live in. So yeah, you definitely shouldn't have any second thoughts about coming here :)

14. Posted by KCambello (Budding Member 13 posts) 12y

Thank You all for all the help!!!:)

15. Posted by kar1181 (Full Member 21 posts) 12y

I have a lot of ancestry in the England

Depending on the type of ancestry it may be quite simple for you to move as a resident (or even a citizen) to the UK.

I'm an Australian, but I have an English mother, so after 2002 (after Australia changed its dual nationality laws) I took a British Passport.

If you have an English grandparent you can get an ancestral visa which permits you to live and work in the UK for 4 or so years. After which time you may be eligible to apply for naturalisation (not so sure about this though).

If you have any irish grandparents or indeed great grandparents you maybe entitled to Irish citizenship, and that way you could live and work in the UK as an EU national.

There are so many options really with respect to the UK for those with English/Irish ancestery.

16. Posted by KCambello (Budding Member 13 posts) 12y

My grand-father is Scottish. I don't think I will be able to get that ancestrial thing because I don't want to live in Scotland. I love Scotland but I prefer England. I don't know how I would go about getting citizenship without that ancestry. But thnks for your help you have all been great.

17. Posted by tway (Travel Guru 7273 posts) 12y

K, Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of the UK, so if the ancestry thing with great-grandfathers is kosher, it should work for you.

18. Posted by kar1181 (Full Member 21 posts) 12y

Ahhh I did some reading on the matter, and it seems that the Ancestral Visa thing is only applicable to Commonwealth nations :(

Has a lot of information.

19. Posted by HDW (Budding Member 10 posts) 11y

Hey all! I'm new here. I, like K, would like to know how the English feel about people moving into their country.
I was born in the States on the west coast, yet I've never really felt at home. I learned a few years back that my family, on both my mother and father's side have on been here only about three generations. They came here as refugees. Though it helped them then, I find myself stuck in a country I feel little patriotism to, and would like to find a home among those I view as a bit more sane. :)

20. Posted by KCambello (Budding Member 13 posts) 11y

I am very patriotic but I just love England so much that I would love nothing more than to live there. I am probably going to do a travel abroad program and live there and do some school stuff. I really don't know how to get citizenship. I don't. My step-bros have dual citizenship since there mother is British. I don't know if that would help in the application proccess or not.:)