My friend and I are studying abroad in Europe for the Fall semester and before classes start we wanted to take a trip to Greece for about a week. We were hoping to fly out to Athens on the 18th and leave the 25th, so a week excluding travel time. I have some basic questions about Greece and island hopping and was wondering if anyone had done this trip (on a budget!) before and had some tips for places to go and stay, etc. Any advice is helpful!
1. Is it worth the time to stay on the mainland? Since we are flying into Athens I would like to tour around the city, but how long do you think we should remain there and should we invest time in seeing other cities or is it better to hop straight on a ferry and see the islands?
2. I've read mixed reviews about planning ahead for island hopping: some people have said that they didn't plan a thing and just jumped on a ferry when they felt like it and slept wherever and had a great time. Others said that it is worth it to pre-order tickets for ferries and hostels etc. online before arriving. Thoughts on this?
3. Since we are going in August and the weather will (hopefully) be nice, should we plan to just bring sleeping bags and camp out or is it better to stay indoors in a hostel?
4. Which islands would you recommend seeing? We are open to all sorts of experiences
5. Were there any ferry lines or hostels/ places to stay in particular that you enjoyed and recommend?
Any advice at all is much appreciated and please remember that we are in college (ergo broke) and on a budget! Thank you for reading!