Hi clever techy guys,
A couple of small problems i have with PM's...
1. The formatting still doesn't like me - i.e. i can't use *  etc in PMs still, even though it's ok on the forum.
2. When i'm replying to a PM (not a new one), i can't add smilies. It blinks slightly as it pretends to do it, but doesn't add anything, and seems to be the same regardless of which smilee i try.
3. I've probably said this before, but adding quoting to PMs would be a huuuuuge bonus. (other bits like listing/bold etc I wouldn't object to, but quoting is the big problem one). Any chance of getting thsi added?
4. One final one i've just come up with - if you get a new PM whilst you are logged on to the site, is there a way that it could be made obvious? Msg telling you so in a new window maybe (i know that firefix would kill it unless TP is on apprved list). Flashing icon or something?
1. You're right about this. Something needs to be done.
2. No problem here. Me using IE6 SP1.
3. Agree. We could implement the quoting style in the forums. Or maybe even the e-mail type reply quotes with a preceding '>' on every new line, but this could take a longer time to implement, as it involves text wrapping, etc. Text wrapping doesn't look nice in proportional width font.
4. I brought this up before in one of my PM to Peter. I think we could have a blinking yellow colour "YOU'VE GOT MAIL" or something similar.
Peter, more work for you.
Ok, ok, I'll work on it now!!
As for the message notification, I could make the 'You've got mail' thing start blinking or something. To be honest, I'd find it pretty annoying, as I often read mail that comes in through my email and then don't read it in my message center for ages.. in this scenario, I'd have to to get rid of the annoying blinking 'you've got mail'.
But ok, I'll go ahead and update the message center to the same quality as the forum.
hmm.. I feel requests for the diary area coming up next ..
Ok, all done.
I've gone for the popup solution for new mail. This way, if people find it annoying, they can block it with a popup blocker! Also, it will only do it the first page you access after new mail and not do it again for the remainder of the session (unless there's more new mail of course).
SimpleCode should be all ready to go as well - with the added option to preview your post before sending it (quite handy when you want to make sure your code was ok).
And the smilies js has been updated there also to work in FF now. Actually, it drew my attention to another little bug as well.
Wow, thirteen hours from request to delivery.... beats a lot of call centers out there, well done Pete!
By the way, it was kind of weird accessing the site and seeing a pop up had been blocked! I never thought I'd see the day we had pop ups on TP
Yeah, I'm still not convinced about the popup -- when you get it for the first time, it might make you think it's some dodgy ad. hmmm, we'll see if there's a backlash or not
sorry to be annoying but the pop is a bit annoying, as i'm in work i'm logging in and out of TP a lot and I normally answer mails at the end of day when there is more time but i keep getting the pop up and its starting to be a bit of a pain,,,...... sorry !!! is there anyway that it can be programmed that when you press close that it only reappears when an additional mail appears....
sorry i'm being a pain ...
Hey Nikki, no Firefox yet ? the popup blocker can take care of it.
I think I'm going to have to make a preference pane for this.. hmmm..
I hope you all know that Peter's real name is Rakesh, and he lives in Mumbai and not Melbourne!
The pop up is only coming up for me every time I have new mail. Do you have that many new messages coming in continuously? Or is it every time you log in/out?
If you tick the 'remember me' box, it will only show you one pop up at the beginning of the session and then again every time you receive a message only.