Skip Navigation

Working from USA soil but as a traveller

Travel Forums North America Working from USA soil but as a traveller

1. Posted by atomworks (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y

Hey everyone,

I'm a freelancer from the UK looking to take advantage of the fact I work purely on the web. I'd love to spend a few months in America travelling casually, spending a few months in various places.

I understand you need a working visa to work there but as my business is essentially based in the UK and all my money and taxes will be handled with in the UK's tax and bank system what does this mean in terms of the visa I'd need and how long would it allow me to stay?

The ideal situation is being able to go out there, find an apartment for six months (rather then live outside of hostels or hotels) then move to another town for a while before heading back to the UK once my time has run out. I'm a while off being able to make a go at this dream but when I have the resources to go I want to know what I'm doing!

Hope you can advise me, it would be very much appreciated :)

Best Regards,


2. Posted by atomworks (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y

Having had a look at other forums it seems like this isn't legally an option, and so not an option.

Can anyone shed any light on any of this or perhaps suggest a viable angle?

[ Edit: Edited on 15-Aug-2011, at 08:10 by atomworks ]

Post 3 was removed by a moderator
4. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 1997 posts) 5y

The USA visa rules are all quite complicated - you do the reading