I'm looking to go on a relatively short (duration-wise) road trip, starting next week (I know... not much time to plan), down the US West Coast (starting in Vancouver). I'll be taking up to two weeks to do this, with the main idea being a solo photography-geared (I'm mainly into landscape and wildlife photography) road trip. In terms of accommodations, I am hoping to be able to camp most nights (primarily in designated/"civilized" campgrounds).
I have a couple of ideas in mind, such as seeing the Oregon sand dunes, and maybe even making it to the Grand Canyon. But other than that, I'd really appreciate any suggestions of cool, photogenic places to go and things to see. Just FYI, I'm not averse to long driving times, as long as they reasonably fit into the two-week time span.
Thanks very much!
This is not the best time of year for photography - it's the dry season, and fires are burning in both Washington and Oregon. The Columbia River Gorge is always beautiful - especially if you don't mind a little hike. Oregon's Scenic Byways here
Fire Location Map
[ Edit: Edited on 30-Aug-2011, at 16:55 by Daawgon ]
A few places I would choose for photography would be:
(1) Victoria harbor
(2) Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island near Victoria
(3) Seattle--pictures with the Space Needle or Mount Rainier
(4) Oregon wild coastline
(5) Crater Lake
(6) Redwoods--both in Oregon and in California--I'd probably focus on the "Trees of Mystery" in Redwood National Park
(7) Shots of parts of San Francisco--such as Golden Gate Park (Japanese Gardens), the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars on Telegraph Hill, and Fisherman's Wharf.
(8) A shot of San Francisco at night from Treasure Island
(9) Yosemite Valley--including El Capitan and Half Dome
(10) Lone Cypress along the 17 mile drive going past the Monterey Penisula/Pebble Beach area
(11) Hearst Castle
(12) Morro Bay rock (in the bay)
(13) Santa Barbara Mission
(14) Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino, California
(15) San Juan Capistrano mission gardens
(16) Bixby Park Museum and Planetarium in San Diego, CA
Thanks for the suggestions so far... keep 'em coming!
Do people think it's reasonable to make it all the way down to California during a two-week driving trip from Vancouver? What about to the Grand Canyon?
You can do the trip in 2 weeks easily if you just make short stops along the way and don't spend days at each location.
My sister takes 5 days to go from LA to Santa Barbara and back (a 2 hour drive if you do it directly), whereas I'd probably do it in 2 hours, but then spend a day in Santa Barbara and a Day just north of there in Solvang and Santa Ynez. Of course, I've been to those places about 200 times--so maybe that's the difference.
Enjoy your trip.