I am traveling to India to start a new job. Because I have a nice little gap between Xmas holiday and starting my new job I would like to get over to India and check it out a bit as well as realax.
Im thinking of flying to Mumbai (2-3 days), heading down to Goa (7ish days) and then going down to Kerala (5ish days) before getting a flight up to Delhi where I will start working.
My question is where to go in these places, esp. which beach in Goa? And if you think this is rushing it? I dont really like rushing traveling but not sure I will get back down to Kerala before my contract ends.
fyi - http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=82537
Thank you very much. Will check those places out in detail over the next few days.
Do you think that Kerala is too much in this case? and what beach would you recomend for a guy in his 20s? Like to party a bit. Have heared both Palolem and Anjuna are the best for that esp at New Year and Full Moon? Any expiriences?
Goa: around Palolem you can find better night life and beaches than in Anjuna. I would skip Anjuna as it is not a great place (not even for parties).
Om Beach (few hours on bus from) Palolem, has the best backpacker atmosphere and its beaches are truly beautiful. Much nicer than anything you can find on the coast of Goa.
However, accommodation is basic but the restaurants serve great food.
You can insert Kerala in your itinerary. Some tips:
- kochi is a nice town
- the teafields around munnar are spectacular, at the nearby peak there is a small hut that sells drinks/food. there is a guy there who i heard is an excellent guide, it's worth taking a one or two day trek with him. he will provide you with lodging and food too in his house.
- road from munnar to kumily is very beautiful
- worth taking a guided jungle trip in the national park at kumily
- best place to discover the amazing backwaters is from aleppo. the ultimate experience is to find a guide who would take you around in the canal system, and paddle together in his wooden boat. it's cheap and the best way to meet locals and eat in a small restaurant (you have to invite him) a nice kerala meal served on banana leaf.
- varkala can have many tourists but it is very beautiful and relaxing. Actually to me, Om Beach and Varkala were way much nicer than any other place in Goa.
If you go all the way down to Kerala, you will most likely have to fly back to Mumbai.
Let me know if you have any more questions.