Skip Navigation

Immigration and funds confusion!!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Immigration and funds confusion!!!

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by Starbl00d (Budding Member, 6 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:11

Starbl00d has indicated that this thread is about New Zealand

My friend and I planned a trip him to come to Nz to visit for a bit. He is a British citizen. We wanted to do everything safely and so I called Immigration Nz before his ticket was booked, asking what was needed. The guy told me that if he was a citizen all he needed was a return ticket, and nothing else. I said I had heard about proof of funds, or sponsorship, and he said no. I reverified this at least four times with him and he insisted nothing was needed, so we booked his flight with a return ticket for five months later. People have been talking, so I decided to call again, and I got a different and terrifying answer! Two calls today to Immigration Nz had them informing me that he needs like NZD5000 for this stay unless I sponsor him, and that will still be NZD2000! We don't have that kind of cash anymore after the cost of the ticket and we can't change the date for the return to be sooner and therefore cheaper because I can't afford the penalty and new flight charges either! We only have three months to get something sorted and are fast running short on time and are panicking! This wasn't our fault- we were given misleading information...and I just don't know what to do! Has anyone else been in a situation like this, and with a clean background and return ticket and being from the much hassle can we expect? We're stuck with no good outcome on this. I came over from the States four years ago and I didn't have a visa either- or funds. My inlaws sponsored me, but I'm pretty sure I was sponsored after that initial visa that I got at the airport. I came here not knowing anything and was detained for hours but made it through and am now a resident. To apply to be his sponsor will also be hard as I have to have a tenancy agreement showing I rent or own my home- but I live with my inlaws and so don't have time to rush out and get a place to save $3000 for the proof they need....HELP?!

[ Edit: Edited on 04-Oct-2011, at 18:17 by Starbl00d ]

2. Posted by prendy98 (Full Member, 80 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:34

The official requirements for a tourist

- Have a passport that's valid for at least 3 months past the date you are to leave New Zealand.

- Be a genuine tourist, and can show evidence of your intention to leave..

- Provide proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay.

From my experience visiting NZ on three seperate occasions as Irish citizen I was never asked for proof of funds just proof of a flight out of NZ.

Its the same situation with Australia, and again I was never asked for proof of funds even thou I had a bank statement incase. Also from all my time in NZ I didnt meet anyone that was requested proof of funds by immigration.

Now this is just my personal experience, ill leave it up to fellow travelers to discuss their experiences! Hope everything works out for you guys.


3. Posted by Starbl00d (Budding Member, 6 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:38

He will have a renewed passport so that's not an issue, and of course his return ticket...I'm a bit worried they might ask for proof because of the length of stay- under the 6 months but barely :-(

How long were you here? It gives me hope though that they won't ask for that- thank you

4. Posted by bex76 (Moderator, 3600 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:46

I think your friend would be very unlucky to be asked for proof of funds or sponsorship; I've never heard of anyone being asked, even though in theory they could do. I've been questioned a couple of times upon entering NZ (before I had my residency) about how long I intended to stay etc but was never asked for any proof of anything. As prendy98 says, he will definitely need an onward ticket but that should be enough. Don't worry, I think he will be fine!

5. Posted by trainrider (Full Member, 96 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:49


Im a UK citizen and I am now a NZ resident. I first arrived in NZ with a working holiday Visa. There are unlimited numbers of Working Holiday Visas allocated to UK citizens, so there is no problem getting one and you can stay for between 1 - 2 years in the country. This way your freind could also get a job, which could be handy if he hasn't much cash, 5 months is a long time with no cash............

I've never been asked for proof of funds when I've entered any country, and I've been to quite a few!

6. Posted by Starbl00d (Budding Member, 6 posts) 4 Oct '11 18:53

OOohh it's sounding pretty good..I hear people talking about working visas quite a bit but I thought they were hard to get?Like you need a lot of skills or meet a high demand?

Oh and actually I heard that you have to be under 30 for that visa...and he isn't....

[ Edit: Edited on 04-Oct-2011, at 18:55 by Starbl00d ]

7. Posted by prendy98 (Full Member, 80 posts) 4 Oct '11 19:06

My best advice would be to start reading -

Working Holiday Visa -

The visa your thinking of is called Skilled Migrant Visa, which is tough to get but completely different to the Working Holiday Visa.

The Skilled Migrant one is mainly for people wanting to work/live permanently in NZ.

The Working Holiday Visa is self explanatory, you can work while you travel but not planning on staying permanently.

So Trainrider makes a good recommendation cause 5months is a long time and Working Visa means he can pay his own way if he gets work.

EDIT - Yeah you have to be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old, so thats not an option.

[ Edit: Edited on 04-Oct-2011, at 19:10 by prendy98 ]

8. Posted by Starbl00d (Budding Member, 6 posts) 4 Oct '11 19:15

Ah see- its for up to age 30..he's too old

9. Posted by Sander (Moderator, 4393 posts) 4 Oct '11 23:39

As a British citizen, if he's 31-35, he could get the WHV option by Bunac, which is a bit more expensive than a regular WHV, but has those extra years of validity tucked on, and will of course also allow him to work.

I'm assuming, btw, that you'll be staying with family or something while in New Zealand and thus will have very little costs? Because proof of funds isn't there to make people feel bad, it's because almost everyone genuinely needs at least that much money.

[ Edit: Edited on 04-Oct-2011, at 23:42 by Sander ]

10. Posted by Tsunnami (Budding Member, 28 posts) 4 Oct '11 23:51

how about getting a credit card from a bank with a credit limit over $5,000???
that should be enough. you have to proof..., nowhere says you must have the cash on your hand. i have some money but i will never carry cash with me. not more than $20 anyway