Skip Navigation

Thailand - Additional days for a visa

Travel Forums Asia Thailand - Additional days for a visa

1. Posted by crazycat1 (Budding Member 9 posts) 5y


I'm in Cambodia at the moment and I can't really afford to fly to Bangkok so I will have to use the train or bus. The problem is that I need more than a 15 days visa (an extra 7 days would be perfect). What is the best way to do this? Thank you

2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 5y

Fly Air Asia back to BKK. About $65. You cannot take the bus and make a visa run from BKK or Pattaya for $65. Visa run alone is 2K baht. There is no train in Cambodia. Another option is to buy a visa while in Phnom Penh. When you add the visa cost plus bus fare, you will not save much over flying. Good Luck.

3. Posted by crazycat1 (Budding Member 9 posts) 5y

Hi Vegas,

Thanks for that! Air Asia will be £77 in total from PP, so I would have to get the bus back from SR to PP.

Flight from SR to BKK is over £100 therefore it is out of my price range.

Can the embassy not approve an additional 7-10 days or so I wonder

4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 5y

My reading of the Thailand Visa section is that you can extend a 15 day entry permit once. 1,900 baht for an additional 7 days. Go before your 15 days are up. Good luck.

5. Posted by karazyal (Travel Guru 1734 posts) 5y

Stay in Cambodia longer is another way!

The free 15 days for Thailand is not a visa it is a Visa Exemption.

You can purchase a tourist visa from the Thai embassy good for 60 days.

There are some rumors about that Thailand may issue the tourist visas without any fees again to stimulate tourism. I haven't read anything concrete on this rumor.

6. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 5y

Quoting karazyal

The free 15 days for Thailand is not a visa it is a Visa Exemption.

I have been using 'visa waiver' for years but now I like what I saw on thaivisa: 'Permission to enter' or 'entry permit'. Hopefully that phrase, 'permission to enter' will be easier to understand than 'visa exemption' for new members.

I hope you are right about them offering free 60 day visas. With all the news coverage of the flooding, perhaps free 60 day tourist visas will encourage more visitors to Thailand.

7. Posted by karazyal (Travel Guru 1734 posts) 5y

Most of the time I refer to the Visa Exemption as a "free 30 day entry stamp" in your passport that you get at the airport on arrival.

I would like to see Thailand allow visitors in more like Malaysia. Malaysia Single Entry Visa on arrival is good for 3 months.

Perhaps for Thailand they could issue a free 60 day Visa Exemption at the airport and 30 days free if overland and stop monkeying around with the need for so many tourist visas anyway. Then they could change the Tourist Visa to something maybe 6 months long.

But T. I. T. - This Is Thailand!

Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Posted by al.smith (Budding Member 24 posts) 5y

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 21 countries and territories may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.
The applicant must possess means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.
The applicant must possess a passport with at least six-month validity and must present full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry
Visa on arrival is provided at 32 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (4 x 6 cm) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.
Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3127 or 02 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website

i hope that helps